150 Gal Stock List

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on order of introduction from experienced fish keepers? 5’x2’x2’DT- I had planned to add them in order listed....

Fish List-

• Pair of Ocellaris Clowns
  • McCosker wrasse? Or Carpenter?
  • (4) dispar or ignitus anthias
  • (4) blue green chromis
  • Royal gramma basslet
  • Neon goby
  • Exquisite firefish
  • Blue Hippo
  • (2-3)Yellow Tang
  • Lieutenant Tang
  • Powder Brown Tang or Naso

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Hippo, Lieutenant, Powder Brown, Naso all need tanks a minimum of 6 feet long term (ideally 8 foot long tank for some such as the Blue Hippo and Naso)

2-3 Yellow Tangs in a 5 foot tank would be a recipe for aggression unless they happen to be a mated pair. Yellow Tangs, Lieutenant, Naso are all among the more aggressive Tangs to boot. A single Yellow Tang would be best for that tank maybe with one other smaller bristletooth tang (ie Kole, Two Spot, Squaretail). Just be aware that the Yellow Tang will likely try to bully the smaller more peaceful fish.

If I were doing it I would swap the Yellow Tang for a One Spot Foxface, much better around other fish and they will give you that similar slender profile fish that gets good sized. Then add a small Bristletooth Tang. I would also skip the Chromis as they will generally pick each other off over time. The Firefish might also be bullied by more aggressive fish. My Purple Firefish was the number 1 target of any larger/more assertive fish that I had and it's almost identical to the Exquisite.

I would modify the list to look something like this as your list would be grossly overstocked for your tank (keep in mind that Tangs are super dirty and poop like you wouldn't believe):

Pair of Occ Clowns
McCosker's or Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
Anthias of Choice
Royal Gramma Basslet
Neon Goby
One Spot Foxface
A Small Bristletooth Tang from the following list:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/categor...15+43&r=3125&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=24

Or if you have the funds:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1536+3130&pcatid=3130

Here is an overview of the One Spot Foxface:

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish and neon goby first, followed by anthias and flasher wrasse, then gramma, then clowns and chromis, followed by any tangs.

In that size tank only do 1 yellow tang.

Naso gets too big, and choose only 1 of the other remaining tangs.

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar size tank with similar stock list., all my fish i have so far have been in tank for over a year and i always choose juveniles. do extensive research into your stock list as you wont want to see your fish dying and in what order to put them in. i'm yet to get any tangs but i do have a 1 spot foxface and i plan on getting 2 tangs, 1 yellow and 1 powder brown (more passive). 5/6 tangs in tank your size seems too much. rememebr apart from the yellow tang they will get to 5-8 inches in length.. good luck

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 35 35.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 54 54.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.0%
Back