OP
OP
ProjectAnemone

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing yet. I had a significant set back. I was at 59 nems then I had a crash. After getting things under control, I have 29 remaining. All are eating PE Mysis, but I'm going to wait before I do any more propagation. I was hoping to give some to Richard over at www.exoticreefcreations.com so he could test the market at MACNA, but that can't happen now.

I think I went at this too fast, and, as we all know, nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.

OP
OP
ProjectAnemone

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a positive note, all seven of these survived.

IMG_9106_zps50589fbc.jpg

CRW Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree can you please explain crash? Was it a chemical warfare or a water parameter issue?

OP
OP
ProjectAnemone

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got too confident. I had a good system in place, and one day I didn't follow it. I cut 8 nems, 4 each from 2 strains, and just tossed them back in the baskets without keeping them isolated with extra carbon first. I think that started the tail spin. I don't think the bio pellet reactor, GAC, and skimmer was enough to deal with all generated waste. Since adding a sump with live rock, the nems stopped getting excessive foot slime, algae on the baskets stopped growing (I was cleaning the baskets weekly, now I do it once a month) and the surviving nems stopped turning to mush!

I just did my first cut in months tonight. One nem only. I'm leaving the cuts in an isolation tank for 24 hrs.

Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
ProjectAnemone

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cut from last night is looking good 10 hours later. One is fully inflated, while the other is slumped over - but looks OK to say it just got bifurcated.

OP
OP
ProjectAnemone

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep the cuts in an all-in-one nano.

IMG_0589_zps22180622.jpg

I was only keeping them in here for 45 mins. Now I have decided to keep them out of the main system for 24 hours. To keep the light constant, and water temp steady, I just put the nano in the tub.

OP
OP
ProjectAnemone

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to change up the flow and let one strain out of the baskets, they looked like they were getting too much light. To remove the impending death by impeller, I inverted the pumps, and housed them in the baskets. Egg crate and a couple zip ties locks them in place.

IMG_0598_zps8nh4vcsi.jpg

IMG_0601_zpsm6ebmjhh.jpg

OP
OP
ProjectAnemone

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back