OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I posted a question about why most macroalgae tended to die in my tank.

I guess my problem was kind of a 'duh' for a 3-year saltwater aquarist like me. I can't blame everything on the fibromyalgia, but since my dr tripled my Neurontin I've been thinking much more clearly (after a few weeks of being a complete ditz - it can do that to you when you're getting used to the stuff).

I needed lower nitrates. That could well be all it was. My phosphate is below 1ppm (don't recall the exact number just now) and my nitrate was down to a halfway-respectable 13 when I tested a few days ago. The halimeda I put in there about a week or two ago appears to actually be growing as opposed to fading away. I do need to get iron and potassium test kits, but gotta wait a little while. I have been putting a little iron/potassium supplement in, but only sparingly since I can't currently test for it.

Everything's looking much better now, and even better when I have my glasses (heh). Just two things really to fix now...the light on the sump, so I can put the chaeto down there where it won't be eaten by asterinas, and the aiptasia, which I will soon have berghia for.

I finally had a fish dream last night where things actually went well. <3 YAY! Maybe things are really starting to come together like I think they are. My corals are growing and apparently quite healthy...except the ones getting attacked by aiptasia, and the pieces I put in the QT to try and save them as a backup...they're not happy...I may have to put them back in the main and just hope for the best.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been allowing hair algae to grow since my chaeto is not in the display right now. It will soon be time to scrub it off and remove it. Just gotta wait for my light bulb :)

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really looking forward to getting some fresh photos of the tank when I can. Just wish I had a better camera. I found my old Canon but it needs a new memory card :T

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20160315_180501668.jpg
IMG_20160315_181021438.jpg
IMG_20160315_181030165.jpg
IMG_20160315_181049206.jpg
IMG_20160315_182742.jpg

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been at this for three years...but between budget, lack of equipment, tank failures, home moves, and equipment failures, it has been a painfully rocky journey. At this point, though, things are seriously perking up, and I am SOOOO excited!! My fiancee helps me with it because she sees how much I need it (as opposed to my ex-husband, who complained that I cared about the fish more than him), my health is fairly stable, I can finally see my tank from the couch (funny how big a thing that is for me), and my tank is finally maturing. I don't think I ever had a stretch of time where I was able to fully mature a saltwater aquarium. Ammonia to nitrite to nitrate, yes, but never really beyond that. I feel good about it right now.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy that your tank is settling and maturing. It is always so nice to get to the place that the tank is not as vulnerable to a crash. I am glad that you can share in this hobby with your fiance.

The video was nice and gave me a real sense that i got to see your tank (almost) in person.

duvareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really looking forward to getting some fresh photos of the tank when I can. Just wish I had a better camera. I found my old Canon but it needs a new memory card :T
How do you post videos?
New guy! :)

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't get any footage of our two starfish. One doesn't really come out, and the other doesn't come out at all. Only reason I know that one's alive is that I know their back dark corner and can squeeze around there to feed them XD maybe I can get some flash photos tonight.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy that your tank is settling and maturing. It is always so nice to get to the place that the tank is not as vulnerable to a crash. I am glad that you can share in this hobby with your fiance.

The video was nice and gave me a real sense that i got to see your tank (almost) in person.
Thanks for that. I've really been wanting to show off what's been accomplished so far. Even if it DOES have the aiptasia invasion from hell. LOL.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to add the occupants back VERY slowly. First will be Blue, my hippo tang. I'm giving it two weeks. If there's any ich left, she'll catch it, and I will pull her back out immediately. After those two weeks, if she's still ichless, I will test for nitrates. If they are at 20 or less, I will add the next fish. Test again in two weeks. Each time I will be making sure that the denitration bacteria are keeping up. Easy does it. I don't want to do this too fast and cause new issues.

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been at this for three years...but between budget, lack of equipment, tank failures, home moves, and equipment failures, it has been a painfully rocky journey.

This! I know exactly how you feel! I'm so happy that things are starting to look up for you!

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! :) Haven't seen you on my humble thread for a while. How have you been?

I tend to forget to come on and check up on things here because of being a first time dad. I'm doing well! I have my little 20g macro algae tank, but I really want to set up my 29g too, but since my girlfriend and I are expecting a second child any day now I haven't been able to get to it.

Really though, I can't wait to see how your tank goes and I love your saltwater acclimated mollies! I have the same plan, but my babies are going to be fish food.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to forget to come on and check up on things here because of being a first time dad. I'm doing well! I have my little 20g macro algae tank, but I really want to set up my 29g too, but since my girlfriend and I are expecting a second child any day now I haven't been able to get to it.

Really though, I can't wait to see how your tank goes and I love your saltwater acclimated mollies! I have the same plan, but my babies are going to be fish food.
I figure most of my babies will end up that way, though my local SW LFS has expressed some interest, and I'm going to try to raise my very favorites. My darling might use them as fishing bait....not real big on the idea, but I'm going to have far more than I know what to do with...I'm sure you saw the nursery video - that's one batch from one momma.

Congratulations on fatherhood! Love those kids while you can - they grow up fast!

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure most of my babies will end up that way, though my local SW LFS has expressed some interest, and I'm going to try to raise my very favorites. My darling might use them as fishing bait....not real big on the idea, but I'm going to have far more than I know what to do with...I'm sure you saw the nursery video - that's one batch from one momma.

Congratulations on fatherhood! Love those kids while you can - they grow up fast!

I used to raise Platies as food back in freshwater. They can produce a load of babies! I may even have to start up a 10g for some if it get's to be too much. However I may go with gobies in my 20g instead of a hawkfish so molly babies would over run. I don't see gobies being a top predator to small fish.

Fatherhood is... amazing. i love this little girl. She's 1 tomorrow and it's going to be an amazing day.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure my blue tang and flame hawk will take out the majority of the babies, but I want to kind of breed for extra-cool ones, so I'm going to do my best to save what I can.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not-so-patiently awaiting my date to turn loose my first fish...two weeks...TWO WEEKS! SO tempted to cut the time but I chose to do this for a reason. So close...must remain strong!!

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank itself is looking good. Unfortunately, I have to give the fish another 2-week copper treatment because I apparently reintroduced the ich at some point. JUST in the qt, though, thank the Lord.

My black molly just had her third litter....45 babies O.O;; One died, so I'm down to 44, but holy cow. One is a different color from the others...wonder what it'll grow to look like :)

Kinda proud of myself, too, because I got the timing of moving her to the nursery down perfectly.

On a side note, I am exhausted...catching the last two broods, 100% water change (it was getting nasty in there), counting the new babies, and going through the ones before to decide if I want to keep any and moving the keepers to the other tank...whew!!

Back