175g plumbing and sump assistance!

asting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

i'm in the process of setting up a new to me 175g. It was taken down apparently in a hurry, and i've scraped the glass but haven't washed the inside out yet (planning with my FW plumbing test).

General info:

175g - 60x30x22 (LxWxH). Has a center overflow with three drains. purchased a jebao DCP-6500.

I think i have the plumbing set up properly (it was a running system, plumbed to this guy's basement which isn't an option for me), but would appreciate a verification.

Drains

Right- 90 degree turned up. This has no gate valve and is the e-drain. Dumps into the center part of my sump (refugium). Has a hole at the top of the standpipe on the back of the tank (small, 1/8").

Center: 90 degree turned down. I am planning on using this as the full siphon. Has a hole at the top of the standpipe with a line, which i think should be tucked into the overflow box below the water level? Has a gate valve, feeds to filter sock.

Left: 90 degree turned down. This is the secondary drain, which i think i should be used for just a trickle (by adjusting the center return valve open/close). It has a gate valve on it, sealed cap on the standpipe, and feeds to the filter sock. Should this cap be swapped with the edrain cap?

Return

Jebao DCP-6500, which splits to a T and goes to a 1" bulkhead on each side with locline. The actual return bulkheads are about 6" below the tank, and 5" below the waterline (planned). Should these be bent up to reduce the backsiphon volume? I think i can a little under 20g given my sump water level, which seems to be about 2.5".

Are there any other things i should be adding to the return to reduce flooding? Obviously going to teflon tape the bulkhead to locline connectors. the full 5" of water would put 20g on my floor i think!

Any other tips or comments?

Sump is 9" high for first chamber, for filter sock, heaters, protein skimmer

Second is refugium with chaeto (maybe a frag rack?) with drip lines for dosers, set at 8". Then bubble trap and return pump, ATO float valves, ATO fill.

Anywhere, here are some photos:

jHrY1MU.jpg

80zlBJc.jpg

CNPsddR.jpg

VwB75JH.jpg

X63UI9e.jpg

IFmwtjw.jpg

769evtk.jpg

OP
OP
A

asting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Left = Full siphon
Center = Open channel (will convert to full siphon if needed)
Right = Emergency
Thanks, that makes sense. Any thoughts on the return line? Should i just have the locline angled way up to prevent overflow with power loss?

OP
OP
A

asting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya they drilled those return holes too low. Maybe someone will have a better idea on that, the angled up linelock will work though.

Thanks! I'll give that a try. Is there any way i could build up the back pvc and put a pinhole or something to prevent siphon? Maybe using airline to plumb the anti-siphon over the display. None of that is glued so i can be pretty flexible. what's a few bucks more in PVC?

Guess i'll try it and make sure the locline doesn't leak, then go from there.

OP
OP
A

asting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya they drilled those return holes too low. Maybe someone will have a better idea on that, the angled up linelock will work though.

Okay i have it filled for my leak test and think i have fiddled with it but am not sure i have it right. What would the procedure be for tuning?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back