17th Day Cycling 32.5 fluval

Deago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been Cycling for 17 days so far. Started with Live Rock and Pink Fiji live sand. Added Dr. Tims one and only as well. My Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrates. Have Spiked and came down. Nitrite and Nitrates are 0 ppm. Ammonia been stuck at .25 ppm for 5 days straight (Using API test). Wondering if is finally cycled? Salinity is at 1.027ppm and PH at 8 ppm? Only done 1 water change about a week ago? Want to add a diamond goby and CUC.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been Cycling for 17 days so far. Started with Live Rock and Pink Fiji live sand. Added Dr. Tims one and only as well. My Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrates. Have Spiked and came down. Nitrite and Nitrates are 0 ppm. Ammonia been stuck at .25 ppm for 5 days straight (Using API test). Wondering if is finally cycled? Salinity is at 1.027ppm and PH at 8 ppm? Only done 1 water change about a week ago? Want to add a diamond goby and CUC.
While your API ammonia reading can be interpreted as zero, you should be measuring at least SOME nitrates. To be sure your system can handle a small bioload, add ammonia to 2ppm and see if it reads 0 (or up to 0.25 on API) in 24 hours.

Fwiw, a diamond goby needs a somewhat mature sand bed to survive. Your tank may be too new for this type of fish.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're already cycled, and adding unnecessary ammonia isn't going to help your kit, you can see by any searches that api reads .25 in the majority of cycled reefs, do a search and let me know if you found that.

You're being advised incorrectly: hundreds of reefs on this site are zero nitrate and are fully cycled

Your cycle is done because any search for the bottle bac you used, such as Tarichas posts in the chemistry forum or Dr Reefs study threads on bottle bac show it done well before day 17 and you have the ammonia drop already on file. To give you doubt that you may not be cycled is old cycling science, incorrect cycling science, you're well past done.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you used legit live rock, you could have stocked day 1.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect different bacteria’s have different abilities to reduce stuff, including ammonia, to mega low levels. A reading that’s a bit green on API test isn’t dangerous in itself. You’ll probably find when you add a fish the ammonia levels will rise a little then drop below your previous low, as the bacteria that arrives with the fish establishes its new home. I think it’s a good idea to keep testing until I’m sure the ammonia is dropping to be honest, in a new tank.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When cycling, you need to confirm absence of nitrite to know you are accurately measuring nitrate, but beyond that, there is no need to test for nitrite.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are hints here that he may not be cycled at day seventeen, after an ammonia drop stated

see this search? It’s sixteen pages of no nitrate tanks

Screenshot_20230922-083334_Samsung Internet.jpg

anyone think these tanks aren’t cycled? Only old cycling science picks and chooses when zero nitrate means uncycled

old cycling science believes any non digital test kit without question, while any search for nitrate comparison test kit threads shows a hundred ppm difference between kits, on a given sample.

there is no time in reef history that an original ammonia drop meant not cycled, after adding two day able bottle bac and measuring ammonia past that date as a drop. Even if the op didn’t say the ammonia dropped, due to non digital test kit handing, we can also see in searches that’s never been recorded on a seneye cycle and there are a thousand of those able to be searched, find seneye social media posts and review the logs.

if we refuse any searching, believe any param without seeing any test verification, refuse to search seneye cycles and simply claim they’re inaccurate for having not read any, and we ignore the forty page false cycle thread, and we ignore all bottle bac posted timeline studies from Dr. Reef: this tank might not be cycled.

dr reef didn’t use nitrate testing in his huge cycle thread either. He wasn’t using old cycling science to derive his findings and charted ready dates. Agreed on live rock call Cell

nowadays I don’t pick up on that because new posters call all rocks live rock, but if that’s the case it’s a shoe in and still no nitrate is required.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does any cycling disagreement matter

Because they displace disease prep discussions, the real hidden issue

It's hidden because old cycling science believes in stalled cycles despite the studies and doesn't view disease preps as part of required cycling action. Old cycling science will have you wait another month just to be sure, add another bottle of bac, and still add unprepared fish simply bc all params finally tested as wanted. When the fish start to drop due to crypto old cycling science will be gone from the thread.

Fish disease independent from cycle approach is the top fish killer in reefing during the first year, all cycles need to prioritize that over ammonia fears that have never been registered on any seneye reef tank cycles for seven running years now. Theres seven years of digital cycling data on file for interested parties

Find me any day seventeen example of a stalled nh3 cycle on a calibrated seneye for live rock from a pet store and bottle bac and post it. To continue to state old cycling science means we can quickly find examples for the risks stated. I have lots of links available to show nobody's tank falls to control ammonia on day seventeen

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of those tanks are likely cycled as in done. They are all likely far enough along in the early stages to add some fish and start to progress with livestock.

OP - you are likely all set to add a few fish. Go slow and feed smartly since you are not far enough along in the breath or depth of a full cycle to handle a large or unexpected event - this will not happen for many more months. If you go slow and are smart, you can progress along with the tank.

OP
OP
D

Deago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of those tanks are likely cycled as in done. They are all likely far enough along in the early stages to add some fish and start to progress with livestock.

OP - you are likely all set to add a few fish. Go slow and feed smartly since you are not far enough along in the breath or depth of a full cycle to handle a large or unexpected event - this will not happen for many more months. If you go slow and are smart, you can progress along with the tank.
Thanks, Will add some smaller size clowns and take it from there to start off

OP
OP
D

Deago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does any cycling disagreement matter

Because they displace disease prep discussions, the real hidden issue

It's hidden because old cycling science believes in stalled cycles despite the studies and doesn't view disease preps as part of required cycling action. Old cycling science will have you wait another month just to be sure, add another bottle of bac, and still add unprepared fish simply bc all params finally tested as wanted. When the fish start to drop due to crypto old cycling science will be gone from the thread.

Fish disease independent from cycle approach is the top fish killer in reefing during the first year, all cycles need to prioritize that over ammonia fears that have never been registered on any seneye reef tank cycles for seven running years now. Theres seven years of digital cycling data on file for interested parties

Find me any day seventeen example of a stalled nh3 cycle on a calibrated seneye for live rock from a pet store and bottle bac and post it. To continue to state old cycling science means we can quickly find examples for the risks stated. I have lots of links available to show nobody's tank falls to control ammonia on day seventeen
will look into it. Thank you

OP
OP
D

Deago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So update ! I added a small bottle of fritz turbo start saltwater 900! few days went buy nitratites and nitrates went up a bit. now back to zero nitrites and nitrates but ammonia still shows at .25 ppm for the last 3 days. check AKL it was low at 5.6. been adding reef builder. Is it safe to still add a fish? Sorry new to the hobby

OP
OP
D

Deago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are hints here that he may not be cycled at day seventeen, after an ammonia drop stated

see this search? It’s sixteen pages of no nitrate tanks

Screenshot_20230922-083334_Samsung Internet.jpg

anyone think these tanks aren’t cycled? Only old cycling science picks and chooses when zero nitrate means uncycled

old cycling science believes any non digital test kit without question, while any search for nitrate comparison test kit threads shows a hundred ppm difference between kits, on a given sample.

there is no time in reef history that an original ammonia drop meant not cycled, after adding two day able bottle bac and measuring ammonia past that date as a drop. Even if the op didn’t say the ammonia dropped, due to non digital test kit handing, we can also see in searches that’s never been recorded on a seneye cycle and there are a thousand of those able to be searched, find seneye social media posts and review the logs.

if we refuse any searching, believe any param without seeing any test verification, refuse to search seneye cycles and simply claim they’re inaccurate for having not read any, and we ignore the forty page false cycle thread, and we ignore all bottle bac posted timeline studies from Dr. Reef: this tank might not be cycled.

dr reef didn’t use nitrate testing in his huge cycle thread either. He wasn’t using old cycling science to derive his findings and charted ready dates. Agreed on live rock call Cell

nowadays I don’t pick up on that because new posters call all rocks live rock, but if that’s the case it’s a shoe in and still no nitrate is required.
Ok, Thank you for the info. Helpful but got me confused a bit lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back