180 GALLON TANK MOVE

DARTMOOR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not exactly a new build thread, but considering I'm about to tear down my 180 display (450 gallons total volume with basement fish room sump) and move it to a new house, I suppose I can treat it as a build thread.

Let's just say I'm beyond nervous about what's about to happen, since I've never moved a tank this big before. I wanted to upgrade to a bigger tank since I have to break everything down, but since I'm on a time constraint with having to get everything out of the old house and into the new, I decided to stick with the same 180 Marineland, and actually downgrade in size in terms of the sump. I currently have a 250 Gallon tank in the basement fish room plumbed in as my sump but to keep the move and maintenance a bit more simple for now, I'm stepping down to sump under the stand, the good old fashioned way and no official fish room. Just a water making and mixing room.

Its Wednesday evening and the tank move is happening Saturday morning. I'm open to all the tips you guys can throw my way please.

My plan is this, and again please I'm open to suggestions.

Saturday morning:
Try to catch the fish in the display tank and move them along with the coral and inverts to the basement sump tank, which I will have to re-plumb into a closed loop system. This will allow for me to move the tank display tank to the new house and plumb the sump and spend time on aquascaping in peace, without having to rush it due to trying to keep the fish alive in 5 gallon buckets.

Saturday evening:
Fill the tank with as much water as I'm able to transfer over from the old house in two 75 gallon containers. Let is run overnight to clear up the water and let the sump do its thing to get the cloudy water to settle down from the new live sand and freshly added water.

Sunday morning:
Go back to old house, and catch the fish and coral out of the massive sump tank, place in buckets and transfer to the new home and into the new tank.

Then the real fun begins of dissembling the fish room and all the plumbing, ventilation hoods, and equipment. ZERO excitement about that part.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow sounds like a great build... following!

OP
OP
DARTMOOR

DARTMOOR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though I feel like I'm way beyond the timeline to make things go smoothly this weekend, the only good news I have is that the stand is nearly complete. I needed to build a new stand since the previous one was custom built to fit in a nook in the dining room. The new tank will go in the basement on a hard slab. (Am I the only one that's always nervous when guests are at my house looking at the tank and all I can imagine is the floor giving way with the fat person and tank going straight down to the basement below?) Needless to say, I'm glad the tank is going onto a solid concrete slab, no more weight restrictions fears.

IMG_1788.JPG
IMG_1793.JPG
IMG_1791.JPG

OP
OP
DARTMOOR

DARTMOOR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stumbled around Home Depot to get some plywood for the top and bottom of the stand for the tank and sump to rest on, and discovered PVC board which I've never heard of. I decided to grab a sheet and see how it goes. It's about 1/2" thick. I plan on cutting the top and bottom piece tomorrow evening and setting it in place, and then moving the stand to the new house Friday night. We just had the basement floors finished with an acid stain and epoxy coating (which looks pretty slick in my opinion, and since its way cheaper than tile, hardwoods, or carpet its a no brainer, especially for sloppy water changes)

Does anybody have experience with using PVC board instead of plywood for stand applications?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it sounds like you've got a good plan going. Following to see the new build!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 80 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 96 49.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.6%
Back