1st anemone mouth open

Lhall9187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first anemone today, it has been in my tank about 5 hours, i have a 30 gallon with 2 clowns, 1scooter blenny and 1 bicolor blenny, also a couple of corals that are doing well, the long tentacle anemone looks great it has stayed put with its foot in the sand and is open and inflated, my only concern is that the mouth is gaping open, i am not sure if it is still adjusting or if i should be concrened, also it has closed its mouth several times and reopens it, but it is mostly open. There is nothing coming out of the mouth at all that i have noticed, any advice would be appreciated

OP
OP
Lhall9187

Lhall9187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first anemone today, it has been in my tank about 5 hours, i have a 30 gallon with 2 clowns, 1scooter blenny and 1 bicolor blenny, also a couple of corals that are doing well, the long tentacle anemone looks great it has stayed put with its foot in the sand and is open and inflated, my only concern is that the mouth is gaping open, i am not sure if it is still adjusting or if i should be concrened, also it has closed its mouth several times and reopens it, but it is mostly open. There is nothing coming out of the mouth at all that i have noticed, any advice would be appreciated
Picture from tonight
20181024_200911.jpeg

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could just be expelling waste.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would have advised to stand fast last night and check it in the morning. It either closed up or got worse. Will be curious to hear today which.

OP
OP
Lhall9187

Lhall9187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would have advised to stand fast last night and check it in the morning. It either closed up or got worse. Will be curious to hear today which.
I work 3rd shift, on my way home now, i'll update as soon as i get home

OP
OP
Lhall9187

Lhall9187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20181025-070715_Gallery.jpg
Just got home and its worse, its shrunk down some and mouth is open even more

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deflating some during lights out isn't uncommon. The BODY itself still looks promising. Dunno when your full lights come on vs when you sleep/wakeup, but a picture after a few hours of full light would really tell us a lot.

OP
OP
Lhall9187

Lhall9187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deflating some during lights out isn't uncommon. The BODY itself still looks promising. Dunno when your full lights come on vs when you sleep/wakeup, but a picture after a few hours of full light would really tell us a lot.
Ok, lights are fully ramped in another 2 hours so ill check on him again at that time, that's why i was so unsure about its health though the body looks great, nice and plump and its not expeling anything that ive seen its just very open

OP
OP
Lhall9187

Lhall9187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20181025-111934_Gallery.jpg
Ok, mouth has closed some and it has inflated back up, mouth is still open but looking much better

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not uncommon for an anemone to take anywhere from a few hours to a few days to adjust to the water it is now in. The first photo was expelling water it was in, the last photo it has taken water back in to reinflate.

Food/water can only enter and exit from its mouth and the last pic certainly appears to be adjusting. I would keep an eye on the mouth and hope it fully closes before long.

Please keep us updated.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm late. But it sounds like others have already said what I would have at the beginning. It can take a while to adjust to a new system, and it appears this M. doreensis isdoing just that. It looks like it's gotten better since Wednesday, hopefully it continues to do so. Through all of this it's stayed mostly inflated with a gaping mouth, which isn't (for most cases) a death sentence just a sign of stress. Keep us updated of any changes.

OP
OP
Lhall9187

Lhall9187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm late. But it sounds like others have already said what I would have at the beginning. It can take a while to adjust to a new system, and it appears this M. doreensis isdoing just that. It looks like it's gotten better since Wednesday, hopefully it continues to do so. Through all of this it's stayed mostly inflated with a gaping mouth, which isn't (for most cases) a death sentence just a sign of stress. Keep us updated of any changes.
Thank you, its looking much better mouth open only slightly, it has moved towards the back of my tank directly under the lights but is looking promising

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 188 73.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back