2/100 SPS Losing Tissue

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s a weird one. Purple Stylo and Jack o Lantern losing tissue. All other SPS are fine, which is dozens of acros and a couple montis all growing well. Ive has them both for years and never seen anything of the sort. No major changes for several months other than adding 5x tiny striped blennies in an effort to get N03 up. Parameters have been the same for a long time. Total volume is ~65 gal. I’ve done several larger than normal water changes w/ no effect

Ca- 420
Alk- 7.3dKH
Mag-1300
K- 410
N03- .5
p04- .03
Temp- 78

Weekly 8g water changes

RODI cartridges / T5 bulbs all changed on a regular schedule

Checked all pumps and equipment for rust

Thoughts?

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you change the direction of your water flow? I’ve done that thinking it was a good idea only to find that everything was happy before. I ended up blowing the skin off a few acros. Also, are the two corals close to one another? Are they bleaching? Is tissue loss from the top, down or is it from the bottom, up?

Pictures would help

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No changes to flow. Corals are on opposite ends of the tank. Tissue recession is more base-up on the stylo and patchy on the lepto. I’ll take pics later.

I even removed my Sinularia thinking it was affecting them via chem warfare.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N and P are fine - any surplus is a surplus nonetheless.

Did something land on the Lepto? I am not a huge LPS guy, sorry,

Is there any point-source shading of the Stylo? Is the bottom getting enough light?

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N and P are fine - any surplus is a surplus nonetheless.

Did something land on the Lepto? I am not a huge LPS guy, sorry,

Is there any point-source shading of the Stylo? Is the bottom getting enough light?

Neither. Thinking a Triton test may not hurt. It’s been a few years since I did one anyway.

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to pop back in here to follow up. Got a Triton test done that showed a ton of Tin and low iodine. Everything else was spot on. I did the DOC one as well and my KH came in a full point lower than I had been reading.

Searched for anything that could be leaching the tin into my tank. Turns out new pvc and new glass tanks could both be the cause. Both of which categories I fall into. I did find a split magnet on a 10 year old Tunze nanostream in my water mixing station which I tossed and cleaned out the barrel. Also sifted my sand with a magnet and checked every other magnet in the system for good measure before running Cuprisorb for a week.

Did some research on the Alk issue, I was watching for a color change much later on my Salifert test kit than should be. Printed off the color chart from the thread discussing it and have adjusted accordingly.

Most of the stylo and half of the Jack o lantern died but I salvaged what good tissue is left and they seem to be coming around.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some salt mixes are high in tin, but other tanks have issues with low-tin salt mixes.

That Tunze magnet could be ceramic, so dig it back out until you know for sure.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to pop back in here to follow up. Got a Triton test done that showed a ton of Tin and low iodine. Everything else was spot on. I did the DOC one as well and my KH came in a full point lower than I had been reading.

Searched for anything that could be leaching the tin into my tank. Turns out new pvc and new glass tanks could both be the cause. Both of which categories I fall into. I did find a split magnet on a 10 year old Tunze nanostream in my water mixing station which I tossed and cleaned out the barrel. Also sifted my sand with a magnet and checked every other magnet in the system for good measure before running Cuprisorb for a week.

Did some research on the Alk issue, I was watching for a color change much later on my Salifert test kit than should be. Printed off the color chart from the thread discussing it and have adjusted accordingly.

Most of the stylo and half of the Jack o lantern died but I salvaged what good tissue is left and they seem to be coming around.
Had the same elevated tin issue. Wish I did an icp test before losing so many acros. My tank also is fairly new at 16 months and I read the same about new PVC and floating glass.

Wish manufacturers were aware.

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some salt mixes are high in tin, but other tanks have issues with low-tin salt mixes.

That Tunze magnet could be ceramic, so dig it back out until you know for sure.

It was split and rusting soooo

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same elevated tin issue. Wish I did an icp test before losing so many acros. My tank also is fairly new at 16 months and I read the same about new PVC and floating glass.

Wish manufacturers were aware.

Strange thing is this tank replaced a smaller one I ran for a year. Same amount of new pvc and a new tank (although it was Aqueon not custom) and not tin issues on that system after a Triton test.

These weird hard to find issues are certainly trying on a reefer’s heart.

Arcadiareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if poly filter removes tin ? Or any other product for that matter.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if poly filter removes tin ? Or any other product for that matter.
Polyfilter doesnt. Nor does Cuprisorb in my recent experience. Large water changes brought mine down. Like 6 x 30% water changes over 2 wks.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 80 53.3%
  • NO

Votes: 47 31.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back