2 blennies 1 tank?

blkhawk10

Big U G baby!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious to find out if I could peacefully have a tailspot blenny and another blenny together in a 55 gallon tank?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive not tried it but I've heard about mixed success if different enough in appearance and shape

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4FordFamily is setting you on the right track . . .

I've got a starry and a midas blenny in a 65. It works with these two because they're different genera and their lifestyles are _very_ different; The starry is a rock-perching algae muncher, while the midas is a mid-water planktivore.

Midas and tailspot are in the same genus, which _might_ throw a flag on that play. Starry and tailspot are both rock-perching algae-munchers, with a more similar shape - not sure if they'd get along, though I seem to recall hearing about some that did. Starry is much larger than tailspot, so for sure, I'd let the tailspot establish first.

~Bruce

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say yes and no, it all depends on the two you're trying to mix.

For example, two lawnmowers in the same tank is asking for serious trouble. But like Maritimer and 4FordFamily said, if they are different in appearance and their habits they shouldn't cause problems with each other.

I know when it comes to same species aggressive fish that if they look different enough they'll typically live well together. this goes for wrasse, some species of gobies, and of course blennies.

Only one I really wouldn't mix with other blennies is the lawnmower, just because it's notorious for being extremely aggressive towards other blennies.

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above advice; different genera with differing body shapes has a better chance.
But I would add that the habits of the fish play the most important role. If both blennies are perchers that pick algae off of the rocks, you could have trouble; even if different genera. I was advised against adding an Ecsenius sp. blenny with a Hypsoblennius sp. blenny unless my tank was at least six feet long. The fish do set up territories and defend them aggressively. A 55gal may not be big enough for more than one blenny.
And with all fishes, each fish has its own personality. I had a Starry Blenny that was an absolute terror even though I know of plenty others that do just fine in a community reef.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tailspot blennies are a smaller blenny species and are not as aggressive as some other blenny species.

I wouldn't mix any of the other perching Ecsenius species, but a midas should be fine.

I would also avoid some of the larger blenny species such as algae or starry, as their size and aggression can present problems for the established tail spot.

Meiacanthus species, barnacle blennies, and Paraclinus species should all be fine.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if bicolor and lawnmower would work in a 45 gallon
I would advise against it in that size tank. Lawnmower blennies can be quite territorial towards other "perching" fish, so would need more space to coexist.

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise against it in that size tank. Lawnmower blennies can be quite territorial towards other "perching" fish, so would need more space to coexist.
Will do

just trying to get some algae eaters in my tank with current stock if possible

trying to avoid angels if possible

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do

just trying to get some algae eaters in my tank with current stock if possible

trying to avoid angels if possible
Hector or rainsford gobies are pretty good algae eaters.

For algea control in a tank that size I would recommend Halloween or tuxedo urchin, emerald crabs, or hermit crabs.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep two tail spots, a lawnmower, bumblebee, midas, watchman, bicolor. They all seem to get along.
My uncle went crazy with 5 blennies and 8 gobies in a 125g all small. It usually does not last for more than 2years. There will be problems likely. Just wait. Unless you feed heavy and have 150+lbs of live rock.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's some very good information here, what I have a little kink in my question.

I want to purchase a Tailspot blenny and Midas blemmy in the same 55 gallon tank, At The Same Time.

Advice from you experienced reefers would be most helpful

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's some very good information here, what I have a little kink in my question.

I want to purchase a Tailspot blenny and Midas blemmy in the same 55 gallon tank, At The Same Time.

Advice from you experienced reefers would be most helpful
Bumping this thread because I have the same exact question. Can a Midas and Tailspot get along in a 25g peninsula?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back