2 clownfish in 1 tank?

Wilkerson.reed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 14 and new to saltwater tanks still... I have had an orange occelaris clownfish in my 36 gallon tank for over a year by itself so I assume it is female... I went to my LFS today and they said that I could put a black occelaris clown in my tank with my other clown and they would get along fine. The black clown in the store looked smaller than the other clown in the tank so I assumed it was male. I got home and realized that the black occelaris clown was definitely larger than my orange occelaris clown which I assume to be female. Isnt the female usually larger? Will this create a problem? Sorry if this is a dumb question and my LFS said they would be fine because they are the same species of clown and color doesn't matter. Please help!!

OP
OP
W

Wilkerson.reed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So even fit he bigger one is a male would it be a problem? Because the black one was smaller than the one in the store but bigger than mine at home... So if it is male, is it a problem that he is bigger?

OP
OP
W

Wilkerson.reed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I at least try it and see? My LFS is going to close and I have nowhere to put the fish... Even if it is a male, will it turn female because it is bigger?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be nervous. If you put the black in the tank, you will know immediately, and it could be World War 3. Be prepared with nets to block the battle while you try to get one out.

I personally wouldn't do it. Orange versus Black is not what determines a war. Your LFS gave you wrong info. You need a very small clown (black or orange), and even that is a question whether they will get along.

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't worry I've been in the hobby for over 6 years , my 5 year reef tank has one female maroon clown but have had your clowns before, smart idea getting a larger and trying to get a smaller. Even tho the two clowns appear different they are very similar and will still breed in some cases, they should be ok especially in size tank you have I have seen 6 types of clowns in 75gals and they get along, if they fight I would recommend that you try selling it back to the store or rearrange the tank or take both out for a bit then put the black one in then the orange one in hope everything goes well in the future tho be prepared to scoop the black one out as it could be world war 3 and probably won't end well too :)

Last edited:

moulton1853

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got my 2nd clown the lfs suggested to me to by a larger male so that my smaller female wouldn't beat him up too much. They breed clownfish in shop. Within 5 hrs they were swimming together with no aggression ever shown.

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that would be a great idea, I would do it :)

OP
OP
W

Wilkerson.reed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the black one in the tank and they swim past each other right now and don't seem to have any problem... Does that mean they are good? Or will they start fighting later... I was expecting fighting as soon as I put them in the tank because y'all said I would know immediately ... But they are fine right now

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be fine. Give it a day. clown fish can be aggressive. You never know until you try. I have two Maroon clowns they are from two different places and the large one was in the tank first. The little guy is the Bad a--s and is fun to watch but they pretty much hang together. The little guy as goes after the mag float every time.

Mrezy33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When l add a new fish I first feed the tank a bit extra. Then the new fish goes in a few minutes before lights out giving it just enough time to hide. In the morning the inhabitants will see it as less of a intruder. It also gives the new fish more time to acclimate to its new surroundings in the morning twilight. Good luck!

garra671

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they don't get along... Could I put one in my sump until I return it?

Provided your sump is large enough for a fish it will be fine in there I had one living in my sump for almost a month without me knowing it

garra671

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they don't get along... Could I put one in my sump until I return it?

As for them getting along its a 50/50 shot they will fight but that's to assert dominance just keep an eye on them to ensure neither gets to badly hurt. For future reference though add clownfish at the same time

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 in my 92 corner to black and white and a small orange clown they all get along mostly every so often the will chase one another. They even share the same nem for the most part. But it really is hit or miss

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 in my 92 corner to black and white and a small orange clown they all get along mostly every so often the will chase one another. They even share the same nem for the most part. But it really is hit or miss
yup I agree :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 33 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back