2 clownfish in 10g

Clownydowntown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ocellaris clownfish in my 10g right now. She’s been pretty lonely and I was wondering if it’s okay to add a 2nd ocellaris clownfish in the 10g tank? I’ve been looking and I’ve seen many people say that it is okay to do this. Is this fine?

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ocellaris clownfish in my 10g right now. She’s been pretty lonely and I was wondering if it’s okay to add a 2nd ocellaris clownfish in the 10g tank? I’ve been looking and I’ve seen many people say that it is okay to do this. Is this fine?
Based on what I've read it could work fine but it's far from a sure thing. Clowns can be pretty nasty, but it does vary from fish to fish. I'm sure you'll get some people saying it would be fine, and others saying that you absolutely shouldn't add a second clown. You would be taking a chance for sure.

I bet some will also say that the clowns will also get too big. Are the clowns designer? I have a theory that designer and captive bred lineages have a tendency to grow to larger adult sizes than wild fish.

Upvote 0

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had two in a 12g for 2-3 years. When the female got large enough to start showing damaged skin from the branching type coral, that's when I moved mine on to a much larger system.

I added both of mine together, with one being about 2/3 the size of the other.

In your case, the second Clownfish should ideally be smaller than the resident female so it's not perceived as a threat. But as stated above, there's no guarantee as to the outcome.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
C

Clownydowntown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what I've read it could work fine but it's far from a sure thing. Clowns can be pretty nasty, but it does vary from fish to fish. I'm sure you'll get some people saying it would be fine, and others saying that you absolutely shouldn't add a second clown. You would be taking a chance for sure.

I bet some will also say that the clowns will also get too big. Are the clowns designer? I have a theory that designer and captive bred lineages have a tendency to grow to larger adult sizes than wild fish.
The clowns are captive bred ocellaris. I’ve had her for some time and she’s about an inch and a half big.

Upvote 1

Salo001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my first pair of clowns in a 10 gallon they were pretty okay. Once I upgraded to a 20 though they seemed a lot happier and way more chill. They will probably be okay in the 10 gallon but a bigger home is probably not the worse thing in the world.

Upvote 1

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a perfect starter home for a pair of clowns The best bonds I've had with fish have been in nano aquariums

Upvote 1

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine as far as space. The tricky part is adding a second and hope they bond. Maybe start with the smallest you can find and introduce it using an acclimation box. Once introduced they'll most likely squabble till the new one submits.

Upvote 0
Back