2 Different calcium tests with 2 different readings

Flamed_Razor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I been doing calcium testing every week for 2 months now with natrufin calcium tester. And last weekend i went out and bought the Hannah calcium tester. Went home done the natrufin test first and got a reading of 380, then tried the Hannah checker and the reading for that was at 520. My question is......which one do i trust the best or perhaps get a different tester like LaMotte?

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used natrufin, but I wouldn't trust the Hanna. I think their calcium checker is one of their worst, terribly inconsistent.

huuta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i test mine on 3 different kits and they all came out different.I used elos,red sea and hanna.double check again and chosed the red sea for the price and ease of use.If i were you,i would just double check and go with the one that comes closest to the first test

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tested mine on 3 different kits too ..... all came out different. API 500, Red Sea Pro 545, Sea-chem 455. Values from ENC laboratory tested from a sample taken the same day came back at 450.... so I will be sticking with the sea chem test for now. Of the three it also has the easiest color change for me to read so that might influence the accuracy and has a test solution to calibrate with if i think I get a weird result. Second choice would be the Red Sea Pro.

OP
OP
F

Flamed_Razor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went out today to buy the Red Sea Pro calcium Tester seen it on youTube and beats counting drops any day! I will try it when i get home.

GratefulReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the API, until its gone at least. I know that my cal should be at least, 350 so what I do is add that many drops to start. Then I do one at a time give it a good shake and keep going until it changes. So far with 3 tests, my results were. 1st test(counted every drop) 500, 2nd test(counted every drop) 490, 3rd test(started at 350 and went from there)520. Even if the API kit tests high, at 500ish I think im good. I would assume it tests high rather than low.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back