2 different leathers on same plug…?

fishjunky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So…a couple of months ago, I bought 2 leather corals (finger and Toadstool)…that are attached to the same plug. That is how the LFS was selling them. They seem crowded now. Should I try to pull one of them off and relocate for more space for the coral?…if so, how do I remove it from the plug..??

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try placing a piece of rubble or LR next to one of the pieces for a week or two. It should attach itself to it, then all you need to do is cut it away from/off of plug and it will be already for you without having to screen it. If there is any remaining tissue you will probably get another to grow there in its place.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
F

fishjunky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Todd…I think I am going to just leave it alone. My goal is to keep my hands out of my tank as much as possible. Everytime I tinker with stuff I do more damage..lol. Anyway, will they be fine that close together ?

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kind of crazy in the beginning fragging soft coral but as long as water quality is good you could pretty much run through a blender and just get multiple frags. The hardest thing about soft corals are that you cannot effectively glue them down to plugs or ? and need to let them attach on there own. Mostly people cover with netting or keep in a tub/container of rubble for this purpose. IME have easiest way mentioned above, once attached to other substrate just take a razor blade and cut it off near base. Whatever remains will most likely grow into new coral. Toadstool/Sarcophyton Corals you actually cut off just the cap and place it on LR/? to attach and you will end up with two corals as the remaining base will grow another cap. I've taken large Toadstool and cut off the outer cap like like a big doughnut then cut this into several squares, within just a few weeks the mother will have completely healed and all the squares are nearly discs and on their way to growing stalks of their own. Kind of FREAKY but you will get used to it and have fun in the process.

Cheers, Todd

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 63 39.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 81 51.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back