2 for 1: BEST FISH & INVERT for cleaning sand and eating algae!

Do you have a specific fish or invert that you always keep for helping keep the aquarium clean?

• I have a fish and an invert I always keep for cleaning.

Votes: 310 55.7%
  • I just have a fish I keep for cleaning.

Votes: 24 4.3%
  • I just have an invert I keep for cleaning.

Votes: 135 24.2%
  • I don't have a specific fish or invert I always keep for cleaning.

Votes: 85 15.3%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 3 0.5%

• Total voters

RudyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's a 2 for 1 kind of Friday and today we're going to talk about what you think in the best fish and the best invert for two very important aquarium tasks! Keeping the sand clean and keeping the algae eaten! YES!

Sand gets ugly at times and (along with our own regular maintenance) needs a critter or fish to help keep it stirred and cleaned. Along with that is nasty algae that can begin to grow and various fish and inverts may or may not eat it depending on the type. So there are several variables at play here but today we're going to focus on the BEST of these in our own opinion. So now I need your opinion on the matter by answering the following questions.

1. What is the best invert and fish that is best for keeping the sand stirred and clean?

2. What is the best invert and fish that is best for keeping aquarium algae eaten?

@bubbaque's beautiful blue spotted jawfish
710CC19B-AF63-451D-860B-CCCF122585A7.jpeg
I have two Bullet goby's That keep my sand white and clean. Then I have my tangs that do the rest. I also noticed that my foxface does a good job as well.

Michael Adam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only one with most of what's being mentioned in my tank. Lol. I have everything mentioned except lawnmower/diamond blenny and urchins.

GrandpaShark

Keep Calm & Reef On
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great topic. I have a diamond goby boy this guy works his fins off constantly moving my sand bed around. Also have a cleaner shrimp he is a cool dude and is hand fed. 2 crabs as well. Also have a few various hermit crabs and snails. Oh yeah and I have a urchin.
I recently purchased a foxface (foxy) wow he sure cleans up the algae as well constantly picking away.
Overall I think i am covered for now. I feel my CUC is doing a marvelous job, I couldn't be happier with their fishwork.

Eric_Everts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have in my 180G Long :
1 Bella Goby - By far the best of all my sand sifters
1 Blue Spot Goby and Tiger Shrimp
1 Yellow Watchman and Shrimp
1 Sand Sifting Star
Many Nasarius Snails (10+)
and a few other misc CUC

SRQreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple pincushion urchins, turbo snails and some lettered olives for stirring the sand. These guys and stable parameters and I'm algae free!

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best algae eating fish: Bristletooth Tang
Inverts: bunch of hermits. Blue or red leg never had a rogue. Large Nassarius snails.
However best algae remover is a good turkey baste of the rocks at least once a week. Especially include big zoa colonies

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's a 2 for 1 kind of Friday and today we're going to talk about what you think in the best fish and the best invert for two very important aquarium tasks! Keeping the sand clean and keeping the algae eaten! YES!

Sand gets ugly at times and (along with our own regular maintenance) needs a critter or fish to help keep it stirred and cleaned. Along with that is nasty algae that can begin to grow and various fish and inverts may or may not eat it depending on the type. So there are several variables at play here but today we're going to focus on the BEST of these in our own opinion. So now I need your opinion on the matter by answering the following questions.

1. What is the best invert and fish that is best for keeping the sand stirred and clean?

2. What is the best invert and fish that is best for keeping aquarium algae eaten?

@bubbaque's beautiful blue spotted jawfish
710CC19B-AF63-451D-860B-CCCF122585A7.jpeg
Im real happy we made this thread because i need a fish to eat lots of my algae XDD

edreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an abalone and fighting conch for algae, amoungst others, but these definitely are more vicious on the algae.

For sand sifting, diamond goby, pistol shrimp, and wrasses. My yellow corise and leopard wrasses stir up the tank every night to sleep under the sand bed.

Thomas.Pope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Golden headed sleeper Goby that keeps my sand nice and white.
And for algae I have turbo snails and tangs and a one spot foxface but the one fish I’d have to say goes at the algae all day is my blue eyed Kole Tang

LatinoHeat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question. I've never done anything other then a fiji pink sand bed. With my 40 breeder I'm starting, it's going to have a Hawaiian Black sand bed. Which is like a gravel. What combo do you guys recommend for that sand bed type?

kruler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for any Bristletooth Tang for best algae eating fish. My whitetail bristletooth is constantly working on the rocks, glass and bottom of my tank and they are spotless. If I don't clean the glass you can see his lip marks covering the entire surface of the glass and bare bottom.

breefrost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first reef tank, 120g, and this seems to work out:

Sand sifting star - just one effectively keeps the whole sand bed looking clean
Nassarus snails - clean up any leftover bits after feeding
Cerith and Turbo snails - algae and diatoms on rocks and walls
Sailfin tang - picks constantly at any growth he can find, and follows the other fish around to eat their poop lol but it helps break it down and get filtered out
Engineer gobies and moray eels - blow out collected detritus from between the rocks

I also have a 2.5g quarantine tank for new frags with 2 sexy shrimp and a small peppermint shrimp

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do y'all think a blue spotted jawfish does for sifting sand?

They are beautiful fish, but they don't do too much for the sand. Mine doesn't even dig anymore, he just sits in different spots on top of the sand looking for food. He used to dig, make a burrow but not anymore. Either way, they usually pick one spot and keep it, so they don't do much for the rest of the sand bed.

Floppyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I must be overkill. Everyone seems good and healthy though. I have 3 nacassarius snails, 1 sand sifter starfish, a fighting conch, and a small diamond goby. May get rid of the conch tho cause he’s always getting stuck and the diamond goby puts him to shame in the cleaning department.

Back