2 month tank - Dino’s on sand ?

Meddy63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

my tank is a little over 2 months old. Only have 2 super storm clowns in the 90 gallon tank. Noticed yesterday a couple small spots of algae on the sand. Under my lights it looks red. White light more brownish. Guessing this is dinos and start of the ugly stage.

should I be looking at getting a sand sifter now ?

will be getting my Clean up crew now. Closest lfs is 3 hours away. Any good place to order in Canada, preferably Ontario?

Only have one ai 16hd. Saving for more. light is on total 6 hours a day right now with an hour ramp up and an hour ramp down total 4 hours at 60%

Thanks in advance for advice helping on keeping ugly stage to a minimum !

9AF01545-5090-482E-9C06-BD4DDF7ADCED.jpeg

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

my tank is a little over 2 months old. Only have 2 super storm clowns in the 90 gallon tank. Noticed yesterday a couple small spots of algae on the sand. Under my lights it looks red. White light more brownish. Guessing this is dinos and start of the ugly stage.

should I be looking at getting a sand sifter now ?

will be getting my Clean up crew now. Closest lfs is 3 hours away. Any good place to order in Canada, preferably Ontario?

Only have one ai 16hd. Saving for more. light is on total 6 hours a day right now with an hour ramp up and an hour ramp down total 4 hours at 60%

Thanks in advance for advice helping on keeping ugly stage to a minimum !

9AF01545-5090-482E-9C06-BD4DDF7ADCED.jpeg
No dinos. Those are diatoms and completely normal in a new system. They are essentially unavoidable. You can get a sand sifter but you want to make sure you're careful using it so you don't kick up to much pollutants into the system and crash your new tank. I havent sifted my sand yet and it looks worse than yours. Really want it to settle in before I do any major cleanings.

Last edited:

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with statement above have to much sand moved around can release more toxins back into water column and crash tank and raise levels out the roof. It's bond to happen my tanks almost 6an half months old I just beat cyano a month ago now I'm dealing with the green algae not hair more of like a film and I have LR in my tank and live sand so it's bound to happen tank is settling and all the organisms are fighting eachother for the throne of the tank. So don't rush it. I know it sucks my tank doesn't look the best to stare at but patients is key in this hobby. Best of luck

OP
OP
Meddy63

Meddy63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No dinos. Those are diatoms and completely normal in a new system. They are essentially unavoidable. You can get a sand sifter but you want to make sure you're careful using it so you don't kick up to much pollutants into the system and crash your new tank. I havent sifted my sand yet and it looks worse than yours. Really want it to settle in before I do any major cleanings.
Thanks! I will keep clear of anything that stirs it up to much. I currently only have one gyre and my second one is on the way. Diatoms are starting where I have least flow right now so Will start up the second one slowly to not kick it up.
Any clean up crew advice?
Agree with statement above have to much sand moved around can release more toxins back into water column and crash tank and raise levels out the roof. It's bond to happen my tanks almost 6an half months old I just beat cyano a month ago now I'm dealing with the green algae not hair more of like a film and I have LR in my tank and live sand so it's bound to happen tank is settling and all the organisms are fighting eachother for the throne of the tank. So don't rush it. I know it sucks my tank doesn't look the best to stare at but patients is key in this hobby. Best of luck
thanks for the advice! I think the part I’m like most right now being new is the not rushing part. Small subtle changes and let everything adapt to it. I am excited to get some corals in tho and a fish or two more.

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I will keep clear of anything that stirs it up to much. I currently only have one gyre and my second one is on the way. Diatoms are starting where I have least flow right now so Will start up the second one slowly to not kick it up.
Any clean up crew advice?

thanks for the advice! I think the part I’m like most right now being new is the not rushing part. Small subtle changes and let everything adapt to it. I am excited to get some corals in tho and a fish or two more.
I have some snails but they can't keep up with it. I have astrea and cerith snails.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back