(2) MP10s or Maxspect Gyre 150 for 93 Gallon cube?

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kind of fascinated by the Gyre and was planning on getting one for my 93 cube build but came across a decent deal on a pair of used MP10s.

Does anyone have any good arguments for one versus the other?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think the mp10's would cut it, but neither will one Gyre by itself. (Maybe at first.)

If you're fascinated because you've never used either one, then I'd also take a look at Tunze's offerings. They have several pumps that could be very nice in that tank, and from a range of price points.

From the brand-new Turbelle® stream 3 ($350) down to the ultra-utilitarian Turbelle® nanostream® 6045 ($78)...

...and everything in between too. ;)

A set of four 6045's would be a really nice start at only $312. Set them up on timers (they are non-controllable) so only two run at a time, then after a few hours they switch and the other two run. The idea is a tide simulation...it should be no surprise that corals like that flow!!! :) The flexibility of having four pumps to get the job done will pay dividends the more crowded the tank becomes with corals. :) :) :)

You could do a nice job with a set of three or four 6040's as well. ($420-$560) These are tiny transverse-mounted pumps that are great at gyre flows and/or wave generation.

The Stream 3 ($350) is built like a tank and comes with a warranty to match. :) It's designed as a gyre, or rolling current generator and unlike other solutions it doesn't have to hang off the side of the tank or even be above the rock-line to work – it can be hidden. This would make a powerful compliment to another one or two smaller pumps and might even run the tank solo for a long while.

nchin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running two mp10s and a gyre on my 60 gallon. Started with just the gyre but eventually needed to add more.

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running 2 mp40s and a gyre 130 on my 93. I have tried 3 gyre 130s on the same tank as well, the gyres seemed to create a very linear flow across the top and bottom of the tank, even with all my random pulsing and other tricks it tended to just blast corals on one side on the top and bottom of the tank with stuff in the middle getting minimal flow. I would recommend either my current setup - mp40s on each side mid glass and a gyre 150 or 130 on the top back or 3 mp40s each on the mid-glass on the sides and back.

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll look into those. I've read a few threads about people using the 130 and 150 gyres in the same 93 cube that I have. The consensus seems to be that the 130 is adequate and the 150 is plenty. People say they have
Don't think the mp10's would cut it, but neither will one Gyre by itself. (Maybe at first.)

If you're fascinated because you've never used either one, then I'd also take a look at Tunze's offerings. They have several pumps that could be very nice in that tank, and from a range of price points.

From the brand-new Turbelle® stream 3 ($350) down to the ultra-utilitarian Turbelle® nanostream® 6045 ($78)...

...and everything in between too. ;)

A set of four 6045's would be a really nice start at only $312. Set them up on timers (they are non-controllable) so only two run at a time, then after a few hours they switch and the other two run. The idea is a tide simulation...it should be no surprise that corals like that flow!!! :) The flexibility of having four pumps to get the job done will pay dividends the more crowded the tank becomes with corals. :) :) :)

You could do a nice job with a set of three or four 6040's as well. ($420-$560) These are tiny transverse-mounted pumps that are great at gyre flows and/or wave generation.

The Stream 3 ($350) is built like a tank and comes with a warranty to match. :) It's designed as a gyre, or rolling current generator and unlike other solutions it doesn't have to hang off the side of the tank or even be above the rock-line to work – it can be hidden. This would make a powerful compliment to another one or two smaller pumps and might even run the tank solo for a long while.

Someone local has a pair of lightly used Tunze 6095 for sale, do you think those would be a good fit? They are controllable and have the wide stream.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think they'd be a good fit....they are very powerful for a short-reach pump.

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Very interesting.

I went ahead and bought the pair of tunze 6095s. Seems like a great deal for $150.

To start with I will be running them sans controller.

kylevan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find the deal if you don't buy them it would be much appreciated if you passed the deal on lol 2 mp10s are all I need to complete my aquarium, aside from more rock fish and coral that is

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think they'd be a good fit....they are very powerful for a short-reach pump.p

Do you have any suggestion as to where I should place them?

Here is the tank with a rough aquascape (one column needs rebuilding and there are some loose pieces I will be adding to the bases).

IMG_1790.JPG

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back