2 occ. clown pairs in 180

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I have 2 occelaris clown pairs in my 180? There are anemones on the far left and the far right. Would introduce at the same time while small.

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are varying levels of success doing this, the success i have seen is introducing a group of 5 to 7 at the same time as a harem. This typically results in 1 pair and a group of subordinate fish. The success stories however are few and far between. Ive heard so many that over the course of time end up with just a pair...

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It usually goes better with tank bred ones. But yes the smaller types of clowns usually won't defend more than 3-4ft of space and your tank I assume is 6 ft long. Just so none are maroon, tomato, or clarkii as those large types could claim the whole 6 ft as home.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It boils down to the individual personalities of the clownfish. Most people don't recommend adding more than a pair because the results are unpredictable.

If you're willing to give it a shot, just be prepared to remove one pair.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people have a 2-4ft tank. In a 6 to 8 ft tank the stocking rules change. Just like if you have a 30ft x5ft x3 ft tank you could probably add 6 small pairs. While their personality will effect how much territory they claim their species usually determines the range of how much territory they might choose to defend.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back