2 Part Additive

Fishman793

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am currently using Brightwell's Reef Code A&B. I am looking to make this automated, but I have to shake the bottle before use. What 2 part additives don't need shaking and are good quality?
Thanks!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is any other brand, including Randy's Homemade recipe. Brightwells two-part is the most concentrated...if I remember correctly, ca 33% more concentrated. I can only assume it is close the the saturation point. What you possible could do is dilute them and then they wouldn't need to be shaken.

FYI, I'm using BRS 1.1 ml dosing pumps and am very happy with them. I'm also making my own alk and calc using Randy's recipe.

OP
OP
Fishman793

Fishman793

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thanks for the input. I will definitely check them out. Reading the back of the bottle I figured I could try that but I'm pretty close to the bottom of the bottle anyways so I might as well just buy some new stuff.
Thanks!

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to try making your own using Randy's recipe, I'd suggest you buy the calcium chloride at BRS, and the sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) at Sam's or Costco, or any other big box store. I think I get 12 pounds for somewhere around $7. You simply put this on a cookie sheet and bake it at 300 for an hour and you now have sodium carbonate. You'll save a ton of money making your own.

Paul J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is any other brand, including Randy's Homemade recipe. Brightwells two-part is the most concentrated...if I remember correctly, ca 33% more concentrated. I can only assume it is close the the saturation point. What you possible could do is dilute them and then they wouldn't need to be shaken.

FYI, I'm using BRS 1.1 ml dosing pumps and am very happy with them. I'm also making my own alk and calc using Randy's recipe.

Hi, I'm having the same issue with Fusion 1 and Fusion 2. There is no mention of having to shake the bottle on the instruction on the bottle so I purchased both and set it all up on my dozing system. What do you recommend diluting these with so I don't have to shake the bottles?

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not directly familiar with Seachems products, but just look them up. They state their alkalinity solution is 4400 meq/liter. For comparison, BRS alkalinity solution is 1900 meq/liter. Wow, that stuff is potent!

If you wish to dilute these solutions, simply use RO/DI water.

Last edited:

Paul J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not directly familiar with Seachems products, but just look them up. They state their alkalinity solution is 4400 meq/liter. For comparison, BRS alkalinity solution is 1900 meq/liter. Wow, that stuff is potent!

If you wish to dilute these solutions, simple use RO/DI water.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will look into this dilution idea. I have made up Randy's Cal & Alk solutions before but since finding out that Fusion have other components in there mix I went for this idea. Maybe not such a good one. I wont be able to shake these two bottles every day so I will test Cal and Alk each day (not shaking either bottle) to see what happens over the next week.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 43 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back