2-part and Kalk-i am doing something wrong

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

So i have a 120 gallon tank for a little over two years.

It is a mixed reef, but mostly focusing on Gorgonians, mushrooms, Anthalia. I do have some LPS such as a big chalice, a couple of acans and a torch. The SPS i have just include monti, and 1-2" in frags.

Anyhow, until recently, i was relying exclusively on using Kalk for my calcium and alkalinity needs. Now, when i first tried adding kalk to my top off, i would get frustrated by the white "storm" that would develop until the kalk would settle, so i would first add kalk to some water, and then wait for it to settle and then add that water to my top off, thinking that it just higher concentration.

That worked for quite some time. I didn't test my alkalinity or calcium very often, but something like 6 months in, i tested, things seemed fine, i had great growth and so i didn't really worry about it.

My corals still tend to be very helpfu, but as i learned and read more, i decided i should be more careful about my alk, and realized that trying to add only saturated water to my top-off may not work the way i was hoping for.

So i tested my alkalinity about 2 months ago, and voila, i had extremely low dKH, i mean 5.6 dkH or so.

I began to try and raise it. At first i would slowly add BRS sodium bicarbonate (in the recommended dosage) and then try and redo my kalkwasser. But even after directly adding kalk to my top off, and supposedly getting saturated top off water, my alk would slowly drop. Apparently kalk wasn't enough for my system as i was already heading into pH of 8.5 or so. This surprised me greatly, as i said my corals didn't seem to be much of a load.

So then trying to figure out out how much i was short on, i started to supplement my kalk with using 2 part.

At first i was just using the sodium bi carbonate and then after i tested my calcium which showed CA at 380 or so, i started to also dose with sodium chloride.

Here is the problem, with kalk in my top off, i am having to dose 50 ml a day in order to maintain my alkalinity of about 7.5.

THis seems a bit much right? BRS recommends for a 130 gallon system (my 120 gallon plus sump volume) to be .2 ml x 130= 26 ml a day. i am adding 2x that AND adding kalk to my system.

I must be doing something wrong right? And yet i am double checking my dK values with both red sea and hannah.

Should i just stop dosing kalk and go to 2 part?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume this is a typo?

"i started to also dose with sodium chloride. " I assume that means clacium chloride. Dose in equal volumes to the alk additive, for now at least.

How much liquid volume in limewater do you add each day?

pH 8.5 is fine, but will accelerate demand for calcium and alkalinity from both coral growth and abiotic precipitation (relative to lower pH).

Is this also a typo:

"add BRS sodium bicarbonate (in the recommended dosage)"

meaning you actually use sodium carbonate?

If you use sodium carboante as part of my DIY recipe (that's what BRS uses), then 50 mL per day in a 120 gallon systems is only 0.6 dKH per day.

That's low, even with limewater too, so there is no reason to think you are dosing too much. :)

OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right about the calcium chloride typo. To be clear, i am using all BRS supplements. (When i first started i did use the pickling lime as lime water as you recommended).

But i am using Sodium bicarbonate rather than sodium carbonate. I can switch (i have both from BRS). But i thought using Bicarbonate in the 2-part prevents the ph from going too high.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bicarbonate is a fine choice (I'd just use Arm & Hammer baking soda for that product). But it is typically half as potent as the carbonate because it is less soluble.

So you are adding even less alk than I suggested and there's no reason to think it is too much. :)

OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does that mean i should be adding 2x more bicarbonate than calcium?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does that mean i should be adding 2x more bicarbonate than calcium?

I have designed roughly balanced two part recipes for both bicarbonate and carbonate.

Can you tell me exactly what recipe you are using?

OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both are BRS, so for instance for sodium bicarbonate- https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-...ement-1-6aed81cf880f4f9090f0fa8fc5c25d62.html

Using
  • Fill gallon jug 4/5 full with RO/DI or distilled water and pour into empty bucket/bowl.
  • While stirring water, add 1 level dry measuring cup and 4 tbsp of Sodium Bicarbonate.
  • Once dissolved, use funnel to transfer solution to gallon jug. Fill remainder of jug with water.
  • Label Sodium Bicarbonate - Alkalinity and let sit before use.
And using the the general calcium chloride https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-bulk-calcium-chloride-aquarium-supplement.html
Add 2½ dry measuring cups of calcium chloride to a gallon jug and mix with RO/DI or distilled water to create a full gallon of solution.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay thanks, so i can roughly 1/2 the amount of calcium and i should be all right then?

THanks!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back