2 part dosage disparities

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious to get an educated perspective on the dosage challenges / curiosities that I've encountered since switching to 2 part.

I ordered one of the BRS 2 part kits about 6 months ago and used up a gallon of each calcium chloride and soda ash over the course of a few months, always keeping them in equal parts and testing 1-2x per week. I dialed in to keep my dkh at 8 and resulting Ca was always in the 430-450 range and the experience / results were as I'd expected.

When I ran out, I ordered the parts separately and I believe I then ended up with sodium bicarbonate inadvertently. I immediately noticed my kh dropping and ended up with nearly double the daily dose previously to get it to maintain 8 dkh. This very quickly shot the Ca up well beyond the 500ppm end range of my salifert test kit. I had to drop the Ca dosage way back down to get it back in the proper range and ended up with my steady state being roughly 1 part Ca to 2 parts Alk. I guess I'm curious if it's typical for you to need 2x the bicarb vs soda ash? I thought they were both equal parts with Ca, just one had a bigger effect on pH?

When that sodium bicarb ran out, I ordered soda ash and my alk dosing went back down, but now it has leveled out at roughly 1 part alk to 1.3 parts Ca. I'm curious if this atypical as I thought generally the dosing should be equal parts, or do many people end tuning to something other than a 1:1 ratio?

The other curiosity is my Mg has been consumed very significantly as of late. In spite of doing 10% weekly water changes with Tropic Marin Pro salt, my Mg drifted down to nearly 1200ppm. I started using the BRS Mg supplement on a supplemental doser for a week at 100ml / day (on 95g system vol) to get it back up into the 1300's and since then I've had to dose daily ~20ml to maintain. I thought that Mg was more stable and I'm curious if this is unusual or if I should expect to keep dosing Mg ongoing?

As mentioned, my system is ~95g. I'm currently dosing 34ml soda ash + 45ml calcium chloride + 20ml magnesium. My daily pH range is 8.1-8.3. I have a lot of corals, although many are still rather small frags, but they have been growing pretty significantly over the past few months as things have really matured in my 1 year old system.

All this is just to ask if there is any cause for concern or it just is what it is and keep testing / adjusting to maintain regardless of where the dosing takes me?

Thanks!

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use BRS additives for 2-part dosing and while in the very beginning it was equal part dosing, it has progressed to more calcium than soda ash for the past 2 years. I'm sure it's part calibration in my situation (I do not regularly calibrate the dosing heads) but my calcium intake is definitely close to 40% higher than the soda ash to maintain 8.6 DKH & 425 ppm CA.
Magnesium uptake for my tank after months of correction to desired levels has stabilized to just 12 ml daily for an 180g display. I'm also guessing that the coralline has stabilized vs exploding growth.

OP
OP
Morpheosz

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use BRS additives for 2-part dosing and while in the very beginning it was equal part dosing, it has progressed to more calcium than soda ash for the past 2 years. I'm sure it's part calibration in my situation (I do not regularly calibrate the dosing heads) but my calcium intake is definitely close to 40% higher than the soda ash to maintain 8.6 DKH & 425 ppm CA.
Magnesium uptake for my tank after months of correction to desired levels has stabilized to just 12 ml daily for an 180g display. I'm also guessing that the coralline has stabilized vs exploding growth.
That's great to hear, sounds very similar to my situation! Yes, coralline is pretty steady state. Rocks are covered solid, back wall only ever hit about 10% coverage (which is fine by me, I like a mostly black background). Thanks for sharing :)

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium bicarbonate has CO2 in it which to my understanding which will lower PH (depending on buffers present). Maybe this explains why it takes more to maintain your regular alk level?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered one of the BRS 2 part kits about 6 months ago and used up a gallon of each calcium chloride and soda ash over the course of a few months, always keeping them in equal parts and testing 1-2x per week. I dialed in to keep my dkh at 8 and resulting Ca was always in the 430-450 range and the experience / results were as I'd expected.

That is exactly what one expects because the sodium bicarbonate recipe (my DIY #2) is half a strong as the sodium carbonate recipe (my DIY #1) because sodium bicarbonate is much less soluble than sodium carbonate, and is also less potent on a weight basis even if you measured them out at the same weight.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When that sodium bicarb ran out, I ordered soda ash and my alk dosing went back down, but now it has leveled out at roughly 1 part alk to 1.3 parts Ca. I'm curious if this atypical as I thought generally the dosing should be equal parts, or do many people end tuning to something other than a 1:1 ratio?

1:1 is more typical, but many things can mess with the demand ratio, such as nitrate rising or falling or being dosed, and water changes with a mix not exactly matching the tank alk and calcium.

If 1:3 works long term for you, stick with it. :)

OP
OP
Morpheosz

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1:1 is more typical, but many things can mess with the demand ratio, such as nitrate rising or falling or being dosed, and water changes with a mix not exactly matching the tank alk and calcium.

If 1:3 works long term for you, stick with it. :)

Thanks Randy, as always appreciate the insights!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 56 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back