MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I'm using red sea regular
And alk is 8 cal 420 or in that aera
So it's not that ! I'll keep doing my 5 gal weekly wc then!

As luck would have it I got a offer on my co op so I'll be moving soon so I'm actually gonna set up a new tank and transfer everythhing !!

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to clarify. 2Part is MEANT to be dosed in equal parts, that is how it is designed. There is not necessarily a problem with unequal dosing but usually it is a sign of an underlying problem. Such as, using a salt mix that either has low calc or alk.

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm getting conflicting advise here alot ppl telling me to dose whatever is needed not equal parts!

Now I'm dosing about 80ml a day and my alk is between 7-8 but after over a week of not dosing a drop of cal my cal won't come down at all and some of my sps r suffering!

I'm totally confused here why isn't the cal coming down? I tested my salt mix it's fine alk 8 cal 440

Should I bite the bullet and do a 50% w/c ???

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is fine to dose what you need to get your parameters in order but after that you theoretically should be dosing in equal parts. Alk of 8 in freshly mixed salt is low, mine is 13.

Secondly, high calcium really isn't a big deal. It will come down eventually, your alk swings is what is hurting your sps. They will not recover instantly, it takes time.

Doing a 50% water change isn't necessary. I would much rather you do 10% each day instead of one big one.

Just my opinions.

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 143 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back