2 Perc Clowns host anemone

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 mated true percula clowns and a rainbow anemone. I put the clowns and nem in a strainer so they can host it for a few days. After noticing that they were always swimming in the BTA i thought they were ready to put in tank. After putting the BTA on the rock, the clowns just swam away from it and never went back. Im praying that they will eventually host it. What do you think will happen? Is there anything i can do to host faster? Btw its a 150 reef tank.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may come around or never. This is all anecdotal but IMO its always easier to get a clownish to host its natural symbiote and only if its familiar with anemones in general. In my 300 gallon system i have 2 pair of clownfish, a ocellaris and orange skunk. The Ocellaris are being hosted by Purple Mag (Natural Symbionts) and the skunks by 2 large Colorado BTA. The skunks, were is tanks with BTA's so it was a non issue for me to replicate at home. The Ocellaris where not from a tank with anemones, however when i added them to my tank they literally jumped in the Mag and haven't moved since.

1588868220564.png

1588868275403.png

OP
OP
nano_ryan

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks for all the responses! I forgot that i made this thread haha. The clownfish luckily found the nem and are totally hosting it. They are in it all day!

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the sake of accuracy, the anemone is the host not the clownfish. But yes sometimes it just takes some time for it to happen. I've had it take a day up to six months.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 87 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 13.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back