2 polyp growth on Darth Maul and Chromis in 10 days common?

Fishinfool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with only one single polyp of Darth Maul and Chromis and have been feeding them a few pellets of marine one daily. I have 2 new polyps that have grown and opened in 10 days. Is this normal or am I lucky?

Elan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes zoas get a little boost of growth every know and then aside from the normal growth rate.

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my colonies and frags seem to grow pretty fast, too. Where do you have them placed? One of my 4 polyp frags I moved to the sandbed and within 2 weeks it is now up to 7.

am07f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PPE and GPE pop up new babies in days.

I took one polyp the other day and moved it up high and stuck it in a crack. It now has 3 babies and one opened polyp next to it, in about 2 weeks.

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My darthmauls grow pretty quick also. In a little over a month they have gone from 2 polyps to 6. If only my rastas would grow that fast:(

Ricky,

OP
OP
F

Fishinfool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PPE and GPE pop up new babies in days.

I took one polyp the other day and moved it up high and stuck it in a crack. It now has 3 babies and one opened polyp next to it, in about 2 weeks.

I have a two polyp frag of the Purple Hearted People Eaters and the 14 days there is no new growth. They are about 1/3 of the way up in a Boocube 29 and have good flow

OP
OP
F

Fishinfool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my colonies and frags seem to grow pretty fast, too. Where do you have them placed? One of my 4 polyp frags I moved to the sandbed and within 2 weeks it is now up to 7.

Both frags are 2/3 of way up in a Biocube 29 and have good flow

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my candy apple reds popped out 4 babies at once and my RH, PH only popped out one. sme with the rasta. all happed in the same week to. my magicians popped out 2 in the same time also. everyone's tank and every colonie/polyp act differently

ScubaBosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
darth mauls dont grow that quick. I bought one polyp and it took 2months for him to open. but right after, he made a baby. for 5months it was only two of them. I also moved him to the sand bed under 2 150w MH in a 24" deep tank and 2 weeks later he made another baby. I've heard tons of different things about darths mostly that they need intense light. Sure deosn't seem that way.

ddwbeagles

Northern VA Novice Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit of a thread hijack, but a question concerning the Marine 1 pellets you're feeding your Zoas. To be honest, I did not know they even may any "coral foods". I've been using Cyclopese, frozen brine or daphina all soaked in a mix of Zooplex and amino acids, then target feeding through one of those long slim turkey baster-like thingies. Problem is, only a small portion of it sticks to the zoa tenicles. A pelletized food (non floating) would be ideal for this. Can you tell me more about it? Namely the specific name for it. Thanks

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a form of stress reproduction, one of natures ways to ensure survival
- if you read the responses closely many of the growth spurts followed a stresser like just getting them or moving them in the tank

unfortunitly it doesn't always work sometimes it stresses them or just kills them. i believe it has to do with energy reserves. if they have had time to build up their reserve energy before the change they perceive it as an opportunity for growth, if they were low in energy reserves before the change they shut down to recoupe
very often if a happy healthy frag is boughten it will undergo a growth spurt

swampy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a form of stress reproduction, one of natures ways to ensure survival
- if you read the responses closely many of the growth spurts followed a stresser like just getting them or moving them in the tank

+1

Also under the right conditions Darth Mauls can be fast growers. Keep feeding them and they will grow. My grew really fast, from 1 to 10+ polyps in a few months, until it melted away for no clear reason.

OP
OP
F

Fishinfool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit of a thread hijack, but a question concerning the Marine 1 pellets you're feeding your Zoas. To be honest, I did not know they even may any "coral foods". I've been using Cyclopese, frozen brine or daphina all soaked in a mix of Zooplex and amino acids, then target feeding through one of those long slim turkey baster-like thingies. Problem is, only a small portion of it sticks to the zoa tenicles. A pelletized food (non floating) would be ideal for this. Can you tell me more about it? Namely the specific name for it. Thanks

The specific name for the pellets is Formula One Marine Pellet and it is made by Ocean Nutrition. They make a variety if pellets. The next time I am at the fish store I am going to get a few kinds and mix them together.

OP
OP
F

Fishinfool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

Also under the right conditions Darth Mauls can be fast growers. Keep feeding them and they will grow. My grew really fast, from 1 to 10+ polyps in a few months, until it melted away for no clear reason.

They melted?!? Were there any signs before the melt? How long did it take them to completely melt? Did anything grow back or was it a total loss? Thanks for your help!
Jason

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of my zoas have grown a head that I no of... some have been in the tank a month... nothing, I have teal rings, radio active dragon eyes, eagle eyes, whammin watermelons, fire and ice.... when I bought them, the baby heads got bigger but none have grown new heads as far as I can see. :(

OP
OP
F

Fishinfool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were they single polyps? On my Darth Maul the base got bigger on each side and they popped. On the Chromis a large bud sprouted out of the side and it had two polyps that opened up. Try feeding them Formula One Marine Pellet by Ocean Nutrition. I turn my pumps off and sprinkle a few pellets over the polyps and they readily eat it up.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 54 43.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 57 46.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back