2 snow onyx clowns still haven't buddied up to sebae anemone

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. As the title says I have two snow onyx clowns that have yet to start hosting my sebae anemone. The nem has been in the tank for about 4 months, and the clowns have been in DT for two months. The nem is currently attached to a paly colony rock and hangs out to the side in a small valley between colony rock island and the main rock work. The clowns spend most of their time in the upper half of the tank directly above the nem. The larger clown ( Tigger) will swim right above the nem but won't actually rub against any tentacles. It's almost like he knows that is where he should be but refuses to make the jump and commit. Is there something I can do to help or is there something I am missing?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing you can do, you would have a better chance with a natrual host

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Host means anemone, I believe your clowns are ocellaris, natural host would be mag,gig, or mertensi, any other type of anemone takes longer to recognize usually.

Sebae is a pretty generic ID, big difference from Crispa to Malu, crispa being more popular usually makes me assume that is what you are talking about, malu seems to be accepted faster even among non natural matches, but I'm sure eventually your clowns will accept it over time.

Natural or wild caught clowns makes no difference in wanting a host, the instinct is still very much there, they just recognize their natural host as found in wild much much faster, often immediately.

OP
OP
BigRedReefer MT

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok. Thank you for clearing that up for me. I had read somewhere that a sebae was an acceptable host for clowns. I will have to do more research to fully identify my nem and check for compatibility with occelaris.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok. Thank you for clearing that up for me. I had read somewhere that a sebae was an acceptable host for clowns. I will have to do more research to fully identify my nem and check for compatibility with occelaris.

Pics would help us ID.

Yes you are correct, either sebae is considered a host anemone, it's just that it is not a natural match for all clown species as found in wild.
Crispa for example are natural hosts to many clowns, however ocellaris is not one, not that they won't discover eventually, they probably will, just could take a long time, where as if you placed a mag in tank, chances are they'd swim in as you are attaching it, or not long after.

OP
OP
BigRedReefer MT

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics. When I got it the nem was white as snow except for the purple at the tips and a real light creamy orange pedistal. Thank you for your help all.

IMG_20181029_123422030.jpg

IMG_20181029_123411695.jpg

IMG_20181029_123402066.jpg

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like crispa, they will get fairly big just FYI.

Many are sold white/bleached, not a natural color for any host nem, they are lacking zooxanthellae when they are white like that and not able to process light into usable energy as well, or sometimes not at all when really bad.

The fact yours has tanned or colored up is a sign of regaining health

OP
OP
BigRedReefer MT

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah he was my first addition beyond fish. When I got him and started reading I kinda got pushed into reefing. Needed new lights that would allow it to grow zooxanthelae. After dropping four hundred bucks on lights I said to the wifey. " Be a shame to not to put corals in there too. All that room and a light upgrade, I think some green, red, and purple would really make this tank look nice." Worked like a charm it did. :) :)

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take some of their food, and draw it up into a turkey baster, julian's thing or similar device. Slowly expel the food into the water near the anemone. As the fish jockey for position, they may come in contact with the nems, accidentally at first, but later purposefully. Yes it sounds pretty dubious, but I'm doing this now with 23 juvenile ocellaris clowns and 16 bubble tip nems, and it seems to be working. Already, after just 3 weeks, many of the clowns are starting to accept the anemones that I 'pointed' them to.

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be patient, took my clowns 8 months to find the giant seabae anemone I got for them, then one day they finally got it, this hobby is just always teaching you the lesson that patience pays off

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My crispa has hosted 2 different pairs of clowns over the last 18 years, first a pair of gold stripe maroons, and for the last 12 years a pair of ocellaris. Both pairs were breeding consistently, the ocellaris still are. Best of luck with yours.

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, Just takes time. Seemed like forever before my clowns took to my BTA.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google melevsreef clown tube slide it worked great for some skunk clownfish about 11 I beleive

Well, no disrespect to Marc, but while this may have worked for him and some others, you should be aware that if clowns have not adapted to nems sting cells, it can potentially harm or kill them.
We don't really advocate forced close proximity for this reason.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, no disrespect to Marc, but while this may have worked for him and some others, you should be aware that if clowns have not adapted to nems sting cells, it can potentially harm or kill them.
We don't really advocate forced close proximity for this reason.
100% agree

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back