2 snow onyx clowns still haven't buddied up to sebae anemone

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. As the title says I have two snow onyx clowns that have yet to start hosting my sebae anemone. The nem has been in the tank for about 4 months, and the clowns have been in DT for two months. The nem is currently attached to a paly colony rock and hangs out to the side in a small valley between colony rock island and the main rock work. The clowns spend most of their time in the upper half of the tank directly above the nem. The larger clown ( Tigger) will swim right above the nem but won't actually rub against any tentacles. It's almost like he knows that is where he should be but refuses to make the jump and commit. Is there something I can do to help or is there something I am missing?

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. As the title says I have two snow onyx clowns that have yet to start hosting my sebae anemone. The nem has been in the tank for about 4 months, and the clowns have been in DT for two months. The nem is currently attached to a paly colony rock and hangs out to the side in a small valley between colony rock island and the main rock work. The clowns spend most of their time in the upper half of the tank directly above the nem. The larger clown ( Tigger) will swim right above the nem but won't actually rub against any tentacles. It's almost like he knows that is where he should be but refuses to make the jump and commit. Is there something I can do to help or is there something I am missing?
Clowns are hit and miss. I've had my pair for nearly and year and they've never hosted once.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crispa and Malu (Sebaes) aren't an Occy symbiont. Crapshoot whether hosting happens when mixing non-symbionts. Replace the Sebae with a Gig, Mag, or Mert and the clowns will be all over it within a day.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H. magnifica, S. gigantea, and S. mertensii are the 3 species of anemone that host Ocellaris clowns in the wild.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are hit and miss. I've had my pair for nearly and year and they've never hosted once.

It's not the clowns being hit or miss so much as it's hit or miss as to what many provide as a host if they don't know what would be a natural match.
Many people are just giving their clowns the wrong anemone, not that it can't work out, it just often takes longer.

Like Bob loblaw mentioned, given a natural match hosting happens pretty quick, if not immediately, and that goes for the very same clowns that have probably ignored what was given to them for months, given a natural match they typically dive right in.

OP
OP
BigRedReefer MT

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H. magnifica, S. gigantea, and S. mertensii are the 3 species of anemone that host Ocellaris clowns in the wild.

Thanks Bob Loblaw. I will definitely be looking into the mag, gig, and mert. On a side note do you know what sub sp. of clown fish do enjoy sebae crispa hosts. My nem is sentimental since it was my first "oh sh:+ I have to do this to save this things life". Also it was the first addition of transitioning from FOWLR to reef tank.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13 species to choose from although some can be quite hard to find and expensive

A. akindynos, bicinctus, chrysopterus, clarkii, ephippium, latezonatus, leucokranos, melanopus, omanensis, perideraion, polymnus, sandaracinos, tricinctus

OP
OP
BigRedReefer MT

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13 species to choose from although some can be quite hard to find and expensive

A. akindynos, bicinctus, chrysopterus, clarkii, ephippium, latezonatus, leucokranos, melanopus, omanensis, perideraion, polymnus, sandaracinos, tricinctus

Well, I was not expecting that lol. Thank you for taking the time to find this info. Looks like I have new research material to find and read ad nauseum all night.:) Never dull moments or restful nights in this hobby. Thank you all again for the info.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 88 44.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 13.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back