2 trios in a 220?

SterlingSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a pair of B&W occies, was wondering about the possibility of getting 3 normal orange occies and maybe a third B&W (all new addtions would be young). So all in all I'll hopefully have two trios of clowns. Tank is a 6ft 220

Jovreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any nems? Does the current pair host anything?

I highly doubt the current pair will accept a 3rd clown no matter what since they are already established in the tank.

As far as a separate trio, if your clowns are hosting something on one side of the tank, you MIGHT be able to pull off a trio on the other side if they had a host.

If they are not hosting and run all over the tank I would say it's highly unlikely they will accept another trio at all.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several possible outcomes;

2 trios living in harmony, about 3%
3 pairs forming, living in harmony 2%
1 pair forming, 4 individual clowns, living in harmony 5%
2 pairs forming, living in harmony, 2 dead clowns 20%
1 pair forming, 4 dead clowns 70%

All of this is long term 2+ years.

OP
OP
S

SterlingSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, thanks for all the info. The good news is they don't host anything, one sits at the front of the tank acting like a goof and then following any fish that gets too close. He annoys them for a while then comes back to hang out at the front. I have a nem but he's trying to recover from a previous bad home and went and hid on a back rock, they showed no interest in it anyway. I have to level my tank so I'll be draining it, adding the rockwork and setting up the PHs before putting the livestock back in. Nobody has really bonded so didn't know if a 3rd would work. I see odd numbers are bad, could I have 4 and 2 or even 4 and 4 possibly?

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still stick with just one pair --- the numbers you are suggesting could work in the short term, but once a pair starts to spawn, all bets are off. You would be shocked at how quickly things can go South, and it isn't pretty.

Jovreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the two you have now are not bonded and one stalks any fish that gets near it all over the tank? This is not good news for trying to get more clowns in the tank.

What will happen if you put more clowns in, the dominate one that stalks the other fish will pair up with one of your new fish and will attack all others. It has claimed your entire tank from what you are describing. I'm sorry but I would highly suggest not adding anymore.

OP
OP
S

SterlingSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought he was just being playful, never really chased anyone just followed them around. Although sometimes it seems like he's herding my trigger into the rock he sleeps in. My trigger has grunted a few times at him but nothing has ever turned violent. Posted a short video to give an idea.

clown - YouTube

Jovreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a dominating behavior to me. While the clown is not attacking the trigger it is as you say herding it.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 104 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back