2 week old tank

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So each "method" has its pros/cons and ways to avoid some of the uglies. Starting with live rock is not a magic fix all and has its own set of problems and can just as easily end up in a really bad state if mistakes are made.

I started the current tank ~20 years ago with dry (marco) rock and cup or so of live sand. I was able to avoid ugly (I don't count a week of diatoms and cyano ugly) and it was not until several years (maybe as far as 2007) later when I swapped a LOT of my rock for Live Fiji rock that I ran into my first big set of problems.

There are so many variables. Each and every system will be different, but in most cases, with good advice and patience, you can avoid the uglies or outright crashes. The neat part about this hobby is that all these years (20+ reefs, 30+ Saltwater) is that there is something new to learn every day.

I will also say, that you will not find a long term reef aquarist that has not fought the uglies, total crashes or other disasters, If they say they haven't they are full of BS. "Patience" is not the fix all, but it is a virtue for long term success in reefing and my advice is to get used to it early on.
Don’t get me wrong. My dry rock is finally coming around after a couple years to where my params are stable or at least way easier to keep in check. I don’t disagree that it can’t be done, alls I’m saying is that those were lessons I could have done without…..personally. I think I could have saved a bunch of money had I started with live rock.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, and r2r prides itself on no drama. What I see here are a bunch of little kids trying to prove they are correct. For those of you with all the badges your the worst. My blank is bigger than yours is very high school. Go back and read what you posted here. If you don't hold your head is shame then you really have a screw loose, and for the Johny come lately's out there you just want to pick a fight.
There is no expiration date on correcting misinformation. Also, the original post was just 24 hrs ago so it's not like any of this is all that old anyway. - Johnny

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok I'll shoot:

= who would honestly purchase a $100 fish and a $10 bottle of bacteria and expect all to be well ?

I have done it multiple times - but - if you have a question - buy an accurate ammonia test kit, a 100$ f8sh is cheap here.

Being an explosive hobby wouldn’t anyone want to be sure the environment the new fish are added to is safe to sustain their health ?

Yes - however there is no way to insure that the environment the new fish are added to is safe to SUSTAIN their health,

That being said it really doesn’t matter whose is bigger . But as a group we are supposed to educate and help others succeed .

Agree - and the key lesson is that multiple people do it different ways right? So - if person XXX educates person YYY - in a method lets say using some kind of parasite 'cure' - which is considered (bad) should no-one comment. Lets take the PRIME (and not rediscuss it) issue as an example, In other words its a discussion board and people disuss
(EDIT - corrected errors from my phone)

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All the high school banter but has anyone seen test results that prove either disease or immature stocking prior to being fully cycled ?

any bacteria states instant cycle and can add fish the same day but in reality … who would honestly purchase a $100 fish and a $10 bottle of bacteria and expect all to be well ?
Being an explosive hobby wouldn’t anyone want to be sure the environment the new fish are added to is safe to sustain their health ?
That being said it really doesn’t matter whose is bigger . But as a group we are supposed to educate and help others succeed .
The answer is yes - I have added 3 semiarvatus angels to a tank - with bottled bacteria - I measured the ammonia more than one would normally (using an alert ) - in a QT tank - no problems. And? Just because I did it doesn't meant John Doe should do it

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get me wrong. My dry rock is finally coming around after a couple years to where my params are stable or at least way easier to keep in check. I don’t disagree that it can’t be done, alls I’m saying is that those were lessons I could have done without…..personally. I think I could have saved a bunch of money had I started with live rock.

I would not disagree with that in regard to time to a "stable and mature" system. The money part, too many variables, but fully plausible. I have seen some LR disasters too ;). Most of us could do without the hard lessons too... that is why so many if us try to provide our opinions, even if they differ.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr Reef does that all day long, he said

$200 fish on ten dollar bottle bac

Apples and Oranges really.

A QT tank is not a diverse reef or complex ecosystem. It really only needs to have basic nitrification functioning - not even that to an extent depending on gas exchange, water change and volume to livestock ratio. No wish to start a new debate, but there is a huge difference between reef and a QT tank ;)

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A QT tank is not a diverse reef or complex ecosystem. It really only needs to have basic nitrification functioning - not even that to an extent depending on gas exchange, water change and volume to livestock ratio. No wish to start a new debate, but there is a huge difference between reef and a QT tank ;)

And all this time I thought the OP was just trying to home some fish!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would not disagree with that in regard to time to a "stable and mature" system. The money part, too many variables, but fully plausible. I have seen some LR disasters too ;). Most of us could do without the hard lessons too... that is why so many if us try to provide our opinions, even if they differ.
Here is my problem with your logic.

1. Anemone dies ( a big one) - is that tank still 'stable'?
2. There Is no definition - at all - in any case - as to what defines a 'mature system'

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think anyone asked but how long did you acclimate the clowns for ?
I can't totally remember but I think it was answered - unless I'm remembering a different thread - and I'm not inclined to re-read this one to say on way or the other HOWEVER - if not - its a great point,

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also believe what a qt or hospital tank was had became something everyone is using and not just if fish end up sick
Years ago if we noticed a fish was ill we would setup a qt tank with water from our dt and dose medication . Perform water changes daily or when needed

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And all this time I thought the OP was just trying to home some fish!
If I were you I would start again - the first he posted about were sick

wolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't totally remember but I think it was answered - unless I'm remembering a different thread - and I'm not inclined to re-read this one to say on way or the other HOWEVER - if not - its a great point,
I don't think anyone did I just read the whole thread but I could be completely wrong

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my problem with your logic.

1. Anemone dies ( a big one) - is that tank still 'stable'?
2. There Is no definition - at all - in any case - as to what defines a 'mature system'
1 - Quite obviously that would depend on the size of the Anemone compared to the system.
2 - Sure, if that is the obtuse context you wish to view from for the sake of being argumentative.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went back and looked and @vetteguy53081 did ask but I don't think OP ever answered it so I'm curious to know the answer
I think he posted that he checked sg and temp and floated/matched them... I don't recall for how long or how fast.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back