$20 automation

BigMack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My setup is a Red Sea MaxS-650... it has a built in control for power/lights, but I wanted a bit of automation. Here's my down and dirty $20 automation for feeding time:

I bought a 4 pack of wifi smart plugs from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Vol...5556&sr=8-4&keywords=etekcity+wifi+smart+plug

The 4 pack makes each plug cost $9.25. I plugged one into my return pump, and the other into my protein skimmer. Once these were paired with my home wifi, Alexa does the rest!

I just created 3 routines:

1) Alexa... feeding time
turns on the phillips strip light under the tank (been using that for a while)
turns off protein skimmer
turns off return pump
wait 15 minutes
turn on return pump
wait 5 minutes
turn on protein skimmer
wait 5 minutes
turn off sump light

overall I have to say i'm very happy with the results!!!

I also created 2 routines - one for pumps on, one for pumps off

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the smart power strips as well. I think they were cheaper than purchasing an individual smart outlet. I plan to order two more units.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is a very interesting and cost effective approach! If Alexa can be linked to sensors, this could be a game changer.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same, with a nearly identical product. It's fantastic.

A lot of people commented that they'd be worried about reliability, but one bright side is that they would fail on, if they were already on, so I feel comfortable using them with my filters.

I used to have to crawl under a tab, and deal with a mess of wires. Now I just say, "Alexa, turn off all pumps (or powerheads, or filters)." It's like magic. I love it.

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My setup is a Red Sea MaxS-650... it has a built in control for power/lights, but I wanted a bit of automation. Here's my down and dirty $20 automation for feeding time:

I bought a 4 pack of wifi smart plugs from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Vol...5556&sr=8-4&keywords=etekcity+wifi+smart+plug

The 4 pack makes each plug cost $9.25. I plugged one into my return pump, and the other into my protein skimmer. Once these were paired with my home wifi, Alexa does the rest!

I just created 3 routines:

1) Alexa... feeding time
turns on the phillips strip light under the tank (been using that for a while)
turns off protein skimmer
turns off return pump
wait 15 minutes
turn on return pump
wait 5 minutes
turn on protein skimmer
wait 5 minutes
turn off sump light

overall I have to say i'm very happy with the results!!!

I also created 2 routines - one for pumps on, one for pumps off

How do you create a routine? I'd be interested in getting this. My thermostat has Alexa built in. I wonder if I could use that to control my tank. It is about 8 feet from the tank so not too far.

OP
OP
BigMack

BigMack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is a very interesting and cost effective approach! If Alexa can be linked to sensors, this could be a game changer.
currently you can control via timer, geofence, or voice... there is also an option to use an echo button to initiate a routine - so you could probably hack the button somehow... the ecosystem is growing - just a matter of time before we get more utility...

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently you can control via timer, geofence, or voice... there is also an option to use an echo button to initiate a routine - so you could probably hack the button somehow... the ecosystem is growing - just a matter of time before we get more utility...
This could be quite disruptive to the aquarium controller companies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back