20 gal tall with canopy

scmang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So extreme newbie here on a budget.
(I understand u get what u pay for and long lasting ect..)
I want to start a simple tank and doing the research before I even set up the tank.
Seems the lighting is going to be my biggest expense (outside of the live rock).
That being said: I was looking at the k7 mini or the nicrew 30w.
My tank is a 20gal hex acrylic with a canopy if u guys know the tanks its not fully open on the top it has 2 rectangles cut into it. I'd REALLY like to keep the canopy- but between canopy and top of tank (not water line) it's about 4 inches. And the water line depending on where I fill it could be as low as 6 inches, that being said I have 4 inches of mounting space. I was trying really hard to get something that has a spreader bracket (can fit approx 12 inches across) that would still be able to handle low maintenance coral in the future. Any suggestions?

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to start a simple tank and doing the research before I even set up the tank.
Seems the lighting is going to be my biggest expense (outside of the live rock).
My tank is a 20gal hex acrylic with a canopy if u guys know the tanks its not fully open on the top it has 2 rectangles cut into it. I'd REALLY like to keep the canopy- but between canopy and top of tank (not water line) it's about 4 inches. And the water line depending on where I fill it could be as low as 6 inches, that being said I have 4 inches of mounting space. I was trying really hard to get something that has a spreader bracket (can fit approx 12 inches across) that would still be able to handle low maintenance coral in th
keeping small systems simple is key especally when doing maintance. I do not have a canopy on my 25 gal nor would i want one as it would make Maintenace harder.

i personally like to plan everthing out as well, i would get a light that can handle anything in the hobby so if you decide to keep SPS or Acro you dont have to upgrade.

OP
OP
S

scmang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keeping small systems simple is key especally when doing maintance. I do not have a canopy on my 25 gal nor would i want one as it would make Maintenace harder.

i personally like to plan everthing out as well, i would get a light that can handle anything in the hobby so if you decide to keep SPS or Acro you dont have to upgrade.
Agreed, but what light would be your recommendation? Ai was recommended but after reading about all the melting- I'm not interested in it.

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, but what light would be your recommendation? Ai was recommended but after reading about all the melting- I'm not interested in it.
Im not an AI fan, to many issues especially for that price point. i have a viparspectra 165w, ive had great results. I also like pop bloom, Nicrew and smart farm, all are available from amazon. Im not into the high end lights. the viparspectra dose not have many features just on and off and led intensity adjustment, all the rest have ramp features.

OP
OP
S

scmang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not an AI fan, to many issues especially for that price point. i have a viparspectra 165w, ive had great results. I also like pop bloom, Nicrew and smart farm, all are available from amazon. Im not into the high end lights. the viparspectra dose not have many features just on and off and led intensity adjustment, all the rest have ramp features.
So the nicrew I was looking at should work then, and 20 gallon tall what wattage?

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 20gal hex acrylic with a canopy if u guys know the tanks its not fully open on the top it has 2 rectangles cut into it. I'd REALLY like to keep the canopy- but between canopy and top of tank (not water line) it's about 4 inches. And the water line depending on where I fill it could be as low as 6 inches, that being said I have 4 inches of mounting space. I was trying really hard to get something that has a spreader bracket (can fit approx 12 inches across) that would still be able to handle low maintenance coral in the future. Any suggestions?
Just my 2 cents here. If you have the ability to use a different tank, really consider it. More floor space, less vertical height. I had a 20 high rectangle that I used as a cherry shrimp tank, then tried to convert to a reef. Nightmare! All HOB, just a pile of rocks, never looked, or ran, good. I also have a 55 gal I had as fresh water, I converted to a reef. Not a great size either, but at least I was able to hook up a sump with a Lifereef overflow box. I wish it was a 75 gal, but it's all I have got for now.

Just sayin that the tank is the cheapest part of the operation. Not sayin your tank won't work, just trying to give you a heads up and share my experience. :)

OP
OP
S

scmang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents here. If you have the ability to use a different tank, really consider it. More floor space, less vertical height. I had a 20 high rectangle that I used as a cherry shrimp tank, then tried to convert to a reef. Nightmare! All HOB, just a pile of rocks, never looked, or ran, good. I also have a 55 gal I had as fresh water, I converted to a reef. Not a great size either, but at least I was able to hook up a sump with a Lifereef overflow box. I wish it was a 75 gal, but it's all I have got for now.

Just sayin that the tank is the cheapest part of the operation. Not sayin your tank won't work, just trying to give you a heads up and share my experience. :)
Totally get it and was definitely trying to use a different tank but it's the home floor space I was also trying to save, I had this one and did research on the walls being a bit more difficult with lighting and keeping certain things, flows and such as well. I have a submersible filter so that also takes up more space. I'd really like to TRY and then I do have a fresh water 92 gallon. I figured if I could get the "nano" to run I can go bigger at a later time

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the nicrew I was looking at should work then, and 20 gallon tall what wattage?
150w don't forget the controller.

nothing about reefing is cheap. Whatever aquarium you have will work.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally get it and was definitely trying to use a different tank but it's the home floor space I was also trying to save, I had this one and did research on the walls being a bit more difficult with lighting and keeping certain things, flows and such as well. I have a submersible filter so that also takes up more space. I'd really like to TRY and then I do have a fresh water 92 gallon. I figured if I could get the "nano" to run I can go bigger at a later time
I hear you with floor space! You can make your tank work!v

You have a 92 gallon fresh water? That'll make a nice reef :thinking-face:

OP
OP
S

scmang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you with floor space! You can make your tank work!v

You have a 92 gallon fresh water? That'll make a nice reef :thinking-face:
Yes 92 corner :)
It was a reef tank when I got it, and I didn't have the audacity to do reef when I never have before. I sold all the stuff and now wanna kick myself in the butt. But, live and learn I suppose. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_20240411_183625.jpg
    IMG_20240411_183625.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 6

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes 92 corner :)
It was a reef tank when I got it, and I didn't have the audacity to do reef when I never have before. I sold all the stuff and now wanna kick myself in the butt. But, live and learn I suppose. Lol
i love my nano, the ease of Maintenace outweighs larger tanks. Plus the equipment and running caust is far less. Ive had a reef ready 150 since 2013, cleaning the glass is a huge chore especially since its on a 54" tall stand. @ 27' tall its very difficult to reach the bottom. its been sitting empty for year, Im going to go back to my roots and do a planted community. I have absolutely no desire to convert it to saltwater.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back