20% white vinegar

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy

Couple of things I can do with some assistance with please.

1) I'm looking to remove the sump at the weekend for a good clean. I've ordered some white vinegar (20%) to help with the task. Before reinstalling it, obviously I will rinse well with tap water but would you have any concerns with any residual at that strength.

This leads me to the second point....

2) Assuming the test kit is right (have ordered a new KH test kit), it's reading around 20DkH. I've ordered a new RO unit with DI but the water here is very hard. Other than a number of large water changes via the RO / DI over the next week or so, do you have any recommendations to lower it, outside of dosing white vinegar (5% food grade). If so do you have any calculations to do so.

Many thanks

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can lower alk in the new salt mix with acid if the tank alk ends up being high. This will make a lot of co2 so you have to mix it for a day or two longer with lots of surface agitation to drive off the co2. Vinegar is not good for this, IMO, since it has lots of organics. I use muriatic acid. Some use citric acid.

Muriatic equation is gallons * desired dKh drop * .123 is the MLs of muriatic to use.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back