20g Hex possible for Ponies?

Gxry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got an unused 20g hex that has been through a couple of different builds and was curious if and pony owners out there think it would be ok to turn into a pony corral. If it is feasible are there any suggestions for modifications to make this into a perfect pony playground.

DBFBF879-9592-4047-BE87-8A8224FF4F52.jpeg

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible, but you'll really have to be careful. Seahorses can get big.

Caulerpa prolifera growing on the rocks would look great in a tall tank like that one and help a lot with nutrient export!

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The odds of success are dismal. If you were already a seahorse hobbyist for a few years and knew just what it takes for maintaining water that won't promote nasty bacteria growth you would have a better chance of success then.
While it has been done with someone new to the hobby, MANY more have failed in the attempt.

Katie M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's possible. I have my ponies in a similar set up with a large hang on the back filter to provide flow and filtration and then weekly 30% water changes. I've had my seahorses for several years now. Good luck :)

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's possible. I have my ponies in a similar set up with a large hang on the back filter to provide flow and filtration and then weekly 30% water changes. I've had my seahorses for several years now. Good luck :)
If set up properly yes it’s possible,, I knew nothing about the rules on seahorse keeping and had 13 ponies in a 20gal tank off the shelf at Walmart with cheesy HOB filter it came with for 2+ years. As matter of fact I had two 20gal tanks, the other had 13 ponies in it also (total 26 seahorses) all two years

OP
OP
Gxry

Gxry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would it be to much to ask as to what equipment you ran on your tank? As in the Hob, wave makers and such?

Katie M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be to much to ask as to what equipment you ran on your tank? As in the Hob, wave makers and such?

I just have an Aquaclear 70, a heater that I keep at 72, and an AI Prime. Beyond that, it's good water changes and some caulerpa that has grown out of control...

With that being said, I am tempted to get a bit bigger filter in order to provide more flow as I would like to get some gorgonians in the tank... for your tank, I would go with as big of a filter as possible too.

OP
OP
Gxry

Gxry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have an Aquaclear 70, a heater that I keep at 72, and an AI Prime. Beyond that, it's good water changes and some caulerpa that has grown out of control...

With that being said, I am tempted to get a bit bigger filter in order to provide more flow as I would like to get some gorgonians in the tank... for your tank, I would go with as big of a filter as possible too.

What kind of ponies do you keep?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back