20lb Fiji Pink Caribsea Live sand in 13.5 G Tank

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased an Evo 13.5 Gallon tank and I wanted to know if a 20lb bag Fiji Pink Live sand was ok for that size tank?
I add sand then put a trash bag in the tank and add water on top of bag. Will only be cloudy for a few hours.

Upvote 0

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add sand then put a trash bag in the tank and add water on top of bag. Will only be cloudy for a few hours.
That’s the part I don’t get. People losing their mind about a cloudy tank during the first day of cycle. If you are that impatient, boy have you picked the wrong hobby.

Upvote 0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do what the fifty pages in post 20 shows

dont use saltwater for the reasons listed

I realize it’s def not going to get rinsed for spite now lol. making the example thread sure worked out well for those who want a clean tank though

Upvote 0

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do what the fifty pages in post 20 shows

dont use saltwater for the reasons listed

I realize it’s def not going to get rinsed for spite now lol. making the example thread sure worked out well for those who want a clean tank though
There’s a ton to sort through in those 50 pages....couldn’t find where it says not to rinse new live sand with saltwater and I don’t like putting an opinion out there if it’s incorrect. I’ve read to rinse with new saltwater to maintain life within sand. Why the contrary? I sincerely would like to know. Thanks!

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use sw if preferred I was just harshin’

really though it’ll cost eighty bucks of prepped sw to rinse one bag, tap is free, use salt or ro for the final rinse.

the details are these: nobody has a thread showing any aspect of nitrification from these wet sands though they’re marked live. two times folks made testing threads on the sand it failed as inert out of the bag, and then aquabiomics did a dna sampling of the sand and it was inert for cycling bac even though they listed it as active on the label of the bag agreed it’s misleading and not very nice

then in the thread we take tap water and rinse ten thousand dollar sps tank sandbeds (to clean or relocate them safely is why we rinse) and put it back clean, so rinsing out of the gate can’t be harmful.

a secondary benefit of pre rinsing is because it breaks the reefer off the addictive pathway of concerning over bacteria, we don’t have to. They w be fine in all arrangements

concerning over bacteria incorrectly affects cycling coming up, future expenditures, invasion control and more. strong reef training starts from rinsing the sand correctly and learning complete front-seat control over the reef, or back seating at the start with an optionally cloudy tank. The cloud from non rinsing gives no benefit, it puts us in line as retail needy reefers always fearing bacterial loss

*BRS agrees though that pre rinsing is bad and all their YouTube comments seem to agree so this pre rinsing is information that is truly against the grain heh

Last edited:
Upvote 0

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use sw if preferred I was just harshin’

really though it’ll cost eighty bucks of prepped sw to rinse one bag, tap is free, use salt or ro for the final rinse.

the details are these: nobody has a thread showing any aspect of nitrification from these wet sands though they’re marked live. two times folks made testing threads on the sand it failed as inert out of the bag, and then aquabiomics did a dna sampling of the sand and it was inert for cycling bac even though they listed it as active on the label of the bag agreed it’s misleading and not very nice

then we take tap water and rinse ten thousand dollar sps tank sandbeds and put it back clean, so rinsing out of the gate can’t be harmful.
So in layman‘s terms, live sand is just a gimmick. Thank you for taking the time and clarifying that for me. I can see where it would waste a ton of sw to rinse the sand.

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
certainly now due to the back and forth the op will not pre rinse, I’ve pushed another person onto repeat bottle bac buying that’s always opposite of the intended outcome lol but still a fascinating pattern. a person can provide the only inspectable link in a given thread that shows twenty links in the first post of folks who skipped pre rinse, and are writing that they hate it, yet the main takeaway here will be to skip the pre rinse anyway.

I guarantee any poll on pre rinsing sand will be 98% against the practice for the reasons listed. These opinions are just from the niche of tank moves and invasion fixes, long after the initial setup. Should he decide to pre rinse and never concern over the lack of bacteria ever again in reefing, that will align him uniquely for success though in strange but true ways.

gotta love rtr activity levels tho: by nine am today he will have logs of statements to consider his start, ten pages worth

post the on another board and it would be two responses of half sentences and float down to the bottom in half a day. we overdo lol

i want him to rinse for reasons far down the line. If he adds the bag and the clarifier and waits two days, he’ll be clear :) but things down the line w be off kilter yep.

his cycle will take twice as long as it really should, bac concern #2 will evolve

#3 level is when invasions are taking over, but we can’t clean bc that will harm bac

the fear of bacterial loss will haunt his dreams, but not if we just blast that rascal sand right out of the gate he’ll be free of the fear and deep into deliberate reefing.

his cycle will complete on the date the bottle bac label says

he will be invasion free when he wills the condition to his new tank, a total 180 to depending on retail additives to get by. It all starts by breaking rank and pre rising the first sand

last lil cycling help if he wants the easy way: select a bottle of bac from the pet store for cycling, not tank cleaning. choose biospira, Dr Tim’s or fritz

add into the tank with two ground up pinches of flake food. Wait five days you’re cycled, no testing needed. No back and forth over ammonia, nitrite, bacteria, just add the liquid bottle bac and feed and wait from Monday to Friday and it’s done.

before adding first fish, read five pages in the fish disease forum including the stickies. Skip this step, he’s posting for loss help in the fish disease forum by December

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 100% certain that due to the back and forth the op will not pre rinse, I’ve pushed another person onto repeat bottle bac buying that’s always opposite of the intended outcome lol but still a fascinating pattern. a person can provide the only inspectable link in a given thread that shows twenty links in the first post of folks who skipped pre rinse, and are writing that they hate it, yet the main takeaway here will be to skip the pre rinse anyway.

I guarantee any poll on pre rinsing sand will be 98% against the practice for the reasons listed. These opinions are just from the niche of tank moves and invasion fixes, long after the initial setup. Should he decide to pre rinse and never concern over the lack of bacteria ever again in reefing, that will align him uniquely for success though in strange but true ways.

gotta love rtr activity levels tho: by nine am today he will have logs of statements to consider his start, ten pages worth

post the on another board and it would be two responses of half sentences and float down to the bottom in half a day. we overdo lol
At least from my perspective. Although I have had hydroid jellies show up in a tank with dry rock synthetic water and live sand (jellies had to come from somewhere), not rinsing isn’t about bacteria or even hydroids and tiny serpent stars.

It’s because it’s wasted effort. rinse, don’t rinse. Rinse all you want but it’s nothing that some filter floss and a little flow won’t clean up over night. Worst case 24 hrs.

Upvote 0

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 100% certain that due to the back and forth the op will not pre rinse, I’ve pushed another person onto repeat bottle bac buying that’s always opposite of the intended outcome lol but still a fascinating pattern. a person can provide the only inspectable link in a given thread that shows twenty links in the first post of folks who skipped pre rinse, and are writing that they hate it, yet the main takeaway here will be to skip the pre rinse anyway.

i want him to rinse for reasons far down the line. If he adds the bag and the clarifier and waits two days, he’ll be clear :) but things down the line w be off kilter yep.

his cycle will take twice as long as it really should, bac concern #2 will evolve

#3 level is when invasions are taking over, but we can’t clean bc that will harm bac

the fear of bacterial loss will haunt his dreams, but not if we just blast that rascal right out of the gate he’ll be free of the fear
This forum is awesome when it comes to options!!! When I did my first tank In October, I did not rinse my live sand. I set rock work then placed sand on bottom and slowly filled. It still got cloudy as heck but within a couple of days it was clear. I agree, bad stuff potentially comes in with new additions from LFS’s.

Upvote 0

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!
Goofy Movie Hello GIF

Upvote 0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased an Evo 13.5 Gallon tank and I wanted to know if a 20lb bag Fiji Pink Live sand was ok for that size tank?
Welcome!

Defer to others on sand question, but glad you joined

Upvote 0

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I didn't rinse my Caribsea live sand when I changed out the sand after a tank move, and the little additive packet that came with the sand seemed to work as advertised, and knocked the cloudiness down quickly. I went with the "no rinse" method based on the bag instructions, similar to what I do when prepping food in the kitchen, i.e, my bag of white rice says to rinse it till the water runs clear before cooking it, so I do, whereas my Rice-a-Roni does not recommend rinsing before cooking, so I don't. That said, it was a tank move, vice a completely new build, so your mileage may vary.

Upvote 0

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 170 73.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 11.3%
Back