OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The desjardini tang got released after five days in its acclimation box which was too early. I thought I saw no aggression anymore from the yellow and purple tang who had been the only ones paying any attention. But when I released him midday so I could see the behavior and try and intervene if necessary, they began to literally rip the desjardini a new one and the poor guys sail got split in two vertically while I watched helplessly. I couldn’t actually catch any of the tangs even though they fought in the corners because they’d all scatter like I was the cops and they were teenagers drinking beer every time I dipped the net in the tank. Now, luckily, the desjardini found a peaceful hiding spot above a gyre pump and harassment sharply dropped off on day one when he did that. Now it’s been four days and every day they are less and less aggressive. They rarely go take swipes at it up in the gyre hiding spot anymore and it occasionally even goes on forays through the tank and even swims along the front pane with the other tangs and butterflies sometimes. Meanwhile a friend of mine is ordering yellow filament for his 3D printer to print me some yellow tang decoys! Yes! It’s a thing! Google it. I can’t believe it but some guys at the Humblefish forum suggested them to me.

Meanwhile my regal and copperband butterfly are being a pain. I set up a camera on them so I can watch them all the time and the CBB seems to feed when no one is there much more or at least it feeds in the part of the day where we happen to be gone. It’s eating blackworms poking out of the egg crate. I really think the egg crate is a real cheater tool for feeding him as it’s like a giant rock wall with worms sticking out of it. The regal I have never seen take a bite at anything substantial but have definitely seen him a handful of times nip at something. I’ve offered live clams, angelfish frozen food, rocks from my sump covered in sponges (this seemed to elicit something from watching on the camera and I saw him eat a pineapple sponge up close once), mysis which seemed to work if I worked them into the vermetid snails on the rocks, krill, live baby brine shrimp, chopped clams, blood worms, formula one frozen food, nori, and herbivore pellet food. I have in the fridge to try today from the seafood market: Market squid (local from monterey of course ;), more live clams, small shrimp, and sea scallops. I’m doing daily large to full water changes on their 20g QT to keep the water pristine which I’m sure is stressing them out some but I’ve heard pristine water is important for the regal and I noticed a correlation between the water cleanliness and the CBBs relaxation level. As the water gets dirtier every evening he gets stressed and pane surfs.

Long post but I’m working as a fish doctor part time is the moral of the story.

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good news some bad news and some mixed news on fish.
Sad news first, the regal didn’t make it. He began to get very weak. I was conversing with the experts but the only option was to just toss him in the tank and hope he’d feed in a more natural environment but that would have voided all my chemoprophylaxis I had done on the many fish that inhabit my tank. Lesson learned: don’t buy an adult regal. For not too insanely different a cost I could have gotten a captive bred Biota. I may do that after some savings. He just wouldn’t feed with every option under the sun thrown at it and every bit of care given to it.

Good news: the copperband and exquisite are both feeding great and seem to have adjusted well to aquarium life. The copperband will watch me feed and even eat worms and some pellets out of the water column now. Still training it to feed more like an aquarium fish.

The mixed news: both the copperband and exquisite are utterly infested with ich. I started copper right away to try and help them defeat it quickly. I think they will do okay as they are both in good shape and I also dozed nitrafurazone to help heal any wounds from the ich bites.

Tank meanwhile is doing great and at the six month mark. I’ll post pics here shortly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay make that bad news: it’s velvet on the quarantine tank residents :( protocol of fw dip then Ruby reef rally then back to their copper starting now.

Also forget to mention that the desjardini tang is doing totally great and has integrated into the tang gang with minimal issues now. They still spar but not bad.

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some blue light top down orange filter pics. My favorite way to enjoy a tank. Takes a step ladder to do now!
C60913E5-CC87-41E3-AC7B-50286718E3FB.jpeg
F8A05CB5-56FC-4EC2-A7AE-22028E518052.jpeg
FFF1FF91-162A-465C-8227-8D7413E5436C.jpeg
C4DA00F9-D435-4272-A86E-A947C6A08994.jpeg
B7DDA43E-9C91-4730-8D51-E56E7A3F4067.jpeg
72111C6D-207B-45D8-B362-EF42EEB43776.jpeg
4F71166C-F42D-484B-8E2E-7963C6943761.jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for ya what was your final setup for flow I was thinking of changing mine up as I currently use x2 xf350 and x4 mp40 I’m back wall and gyres on top sides facing each other.

got great flow but looking to see if I can improve it. Was debating the mp40s on sides and lowering the gyres and putting them in back or just try the x4 mp40s on sides

although I love the gyres I feel like if they aren’t cleaned monthly the big down like crazy and just had 1 go bad and other was acting out, waiting on replacement parts now

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not thrilled with my flow. I feel like it’s not random enough nor does it hit enough spots evenly. I still use 2 MP40s on lower sides towards the back down the channel behind my scape with 2 XF350s high on the center of the sides. They’re mostly in a pulse anti sync which helps to be randomized a bit. And I do get a fair bit of flow from my RFGs on my two COR20s. But it just doesn’t seem to be enough. And yes the gyres for sure need to be cleaned at least monthly.

it’s amazing to hear even with two more MP40s I still might not be happy!!! I was thinking of doing that on the back wall facing forward.

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not thrilled with my flow. I feel like it’s not random enough nor does it hit enough spots evenly. I still use 2 MP40s on lower sides towards the back down the channel behind my scape with 2 XF350s high on the center of the sides. They’re mostly in a pulse anti sync which helps to be randomized a bit. And I do get a fair bit of flow from my RFGs on my two COR20s. But it just doesn’t seem to be enough. And yes the gyres for sure need to be cleaned at least monthly.

it’s amazing to hear even with two more MP40s I still might not be happy!!! I was thinking of doing that on the back wall facing forward.
You will for sure be happy with the extra but my issue is just with the gyres. I got so used to just swapping out wet sides and moving on with my day. Also I always felt that MPs do not get their flow hindered like gyres or other pumps.

my main concern is with support of these to be honest, maxpect dropped coral vue for support and I placed a ticket on maxpect and it took about a day to be xfered to BRS which I responded but now day 3 still have a non working xf350 and no clue if they have parts.

I was debating going with reefwave 45s but hate to loose my wave engine and battery backups.

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phosphates and nitrates are creeping high. The phosphate has been as high as 0.4 ppm and the nitrates are up to 18-20. Time to consider some better export methods. I don’t mind the nitrates there so I may just use more GFO and change it more often and ditch the carbon so I can run it harder but I’m considering ditching the cryptic section of the sump full of rock and add a chaeto refugium in its place.

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m too tired to change the color on the lights to take a picture so I just threw on the orange filter and only bothered trying to edit one of these back to normal color.
3FBD0689-0093-4A80-815D-3B526C30E1F2.jpeg
3E60AE42-F833-4654-A16C-3D4DAAA65535.jpeg
5984BFC2-D65D-4A28-AF55-2A245A624D92.jpeg
70D88F96-CD2F-4B65-8095-8C8132EE1827.jpeg
1ECB0C07-E7C9-4D01-9891-AC1261BE28A8.jpeg
C52249D3-1076-4995-B33C-E1E448284623.jpeg
AE4ED591-A714-45DF-B80D-D0C670F357F6.jpeg

I went to the coral farmers market this weekend and picked up an iron mani Goni, LRO buzz lightyear, Wwc red Ferrari, Merlin’s staff, CC pink highlighter, TSA fruity pebbles, TSA Carolina reaper. Wednesday I have a big order from @AquaSD coming with a couple acans and some acros.
763E0A63-0CC4-41AB-8294-FBE6428D1BDC.jpeg

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post treatment the wrasse and copperband have been added to the tank in the acclimation box I also had a friend print three yellow tang 3d printer decoys and they’re keeping the tang busy. He’s so darn feisty he’s actually cutting him self a bit on it. Some sort of lesson there.
E5020111-5746-4888-84E9-C5B7599E30C0.jpeg

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post treatment the wrasse and copperband have been added to the tank in the acclimation box I also had a friend print three yellow tang 3d printer decoys and they’re keeping the tang busy. He’s so darn feisty he’s actually cutting him self a bit on it. Some sort of lesson there.
E5020111-5746-4888-84E9-C5B7599E30C0.jpeg
That’s actually a pretty cool idea!

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tank and all inhabitants are doing great. I finally have the phosphate under control and can say I’m starting to see some real growth again. The phosphates definitely slowed things down for a while, and I lost some color on some things like the beginnings of color I have been seeing on Fox flame. Made my first frag of CC blazing rainbow Milli on accident but was glad to have some growth on it to so that with finally! That’s been growing in the tank before this for about a year plus the eight months in this tank. All happy here! Coral qt batch is half done and going well.
FD759831-A5E0-47F8-B6F5-7B326F9DC5CE.jpeg

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like there is no water lol.
Hah it really does. Didn’t I mention this was during a 100% water change? ;)
I do wish it was this clear with the lights on. For some reason it seems clearer with them off. I plan to get my UV in this year to clear up the water further and maintain the fish as the school grows though they should be parasite free if my protocols have worked.

I bought two more Radion Xr15 gen 5 blues today that I will pick up this weekend and try and fill in the shadowing. I found that with the spacing I will have with that my JF Jolt will be in 750 par if I don’t turn the lights down a bit! 450 at the rocks midpoints. Not sure if I want that or not. Thinking I probably will turn down the intensity a bit.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%

Back