24k torch dropping and seeking ideas as to why.

johnmac28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gal mixed reef. All other lps coral are happy and growing. All SPS are growing with good polyp extension.
Parameters -
Alk-8.3
Cal-430
Mag-1320
Nitrate-.22
Phos-.03
Ph8-8.3
ICP tests have shown no elevated heavy metals. Iodine and potassium were low and have been adjusted.
I decided to take a few pics tonight to see if anything stands out.
In the day time the torch is droopy and shrinking a bit.
Tank is 1.5 years old. Currently use Fauna Marin balling light method, dose 1/2 recommended dose of TM bacto balance. Numbers have been stable for past year.
Any ideas?-if you zoom in on pic 1 there are tiny snails on left side of torch. Maybe flatworms, too?
IMG_4514.jpeg
IMG_4515.jpeg
IMG_4516.jpeg
IMG_4519.jpeg
IMG_4519.jpeg
IMG_4520.jpeg
IMG_4519.jpeg

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the snails and what might possibly be some small flatworms, but I'm pretty confident those wouldn't be the issue here (I don't see any potential flatworms that look particularly harmful or enough potential flatworms of a less harmful variety to cause issues; some rare snails do eat corals, but the little snails there don't look like any kind I know of that would bother corals - especially not LPS or SPS).

My thoughts would be to check the light and flow for the torch, check for other tiny pests like Red or Black bugs, and consider if the torch could be unhealthy for other reasons (like disease/sickness).

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be placed on the sand in the corner of the tank (if I see it correctly), which is usually the lowest light lowest flow area of the tank.

Torches are expensive and personally I would be unhappy to receive a torch frag full of pests like that.

Echoing above advise, I suggest to check the light and flow and check for pests.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 41.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 92 50.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%

Back