29g Biocube Modifications - Necessity?

Want2Know

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This summer i plan on getting a 29 gallon biocube. It will be housing 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 Lawnmower Blenny, 1 Orange Spotted Goby, 1 Marbled Serpent Seastar, 15 Scarlet Hermit Crabs along with a few hardy corals (no sps of any kind) such as mushroom polyps and leathers. I will be using the berlin method and incorporating 50 lbs of live rock and 20 lbs of live sand. I have been reading modifications on the biocube and this being my first saltwater tank i have little experience to judge which mods are necessary. The mods i've found are:

Chamber 1: Partially seal the bottom intake to increase surface filtration. Remove the filter tray. Remove the false bottom to create heater space. Cut the gap between chamber 1 and 2 so that the overflow is completely level.

Chamber 2: Purchase the CPR SR3 skimmer and replace the pump with the RIO+600 to eliminate loud noise.

Chamber 3: Leave sponge in place to catch bubbles but clean it weekly with tank maintenance to remove detritus and bacteria. I've read mixed reviews about replacing the stock pump with a Max Jet 900 Utility Pump. Some claim it to be a great addition while others claim it is too powerful. Some others say it is not needed.

I'm also considering adding a Hyder Koralia Nano.

Which of these modifications (obviously besides the heater) would be beneficial to my set up and which would be those that aren't greatly needed. Any other comments or suggestions are welcome.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those are all good choices, many of which i made on my biocube 14. Best modification you can do is replace the stock lighting IMO, or better yet buy a nanotuners modified biocube.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back