2x Ai Prime 16HD - lenses melting on both

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of my AI Primes lens’ melted around the 1-2 year mark. AI replaced them for free, but I have a few questions about this:

1. What causes this to happen? Just old age?

2. Is it typically the same spot that melts for everyone?

3. It may have been like this for a while without me noticing. Was this causing significant PAR reduction, or a spectrum completely cut off? Should I acclimate the tank to the light with the new lense?

IMG_1944.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the UV and Violet have this happen. No other light I am aware of has this issue. It is ridiculous. I've seen this happen numerous times. My best advice would be to minimize the use of the UV led as well as running the violet at a lower percentage or not as long.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of my AI Primes lens’ melted around the 1-2 year mark. AI replaced them for free, but I have a few questions about this:

1. What causes this to happen? Just old age?

2. Is it typically the same spot that melts for everyone?

3. It may have been like this for a while without me noticing. Was this causing significant PAR reduction, or a spectrum completely cut off? Should I acclimate the tank to the light with the new lense?

1. Bad design
2. I’ve seen different LEDs overheat but it’s almost always in the middle and usually the purples. Could be thinner casting there or the fact people seem to really like blue and purple now.
3. It most certainly affected output and longevity. Personally I would not bother adjusting intensity though unless you ran all the channels at 0 except for that one.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AI prime 16 over my refugium, and I just removed the lens and bought a diffuser for it. Now I don't have to worry about the lens melting :)

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang so far I have been in love with the AI primes, but this has been a big blunder on my tank. I don’t know how long the lights went like this. I noticed something was wrong when I tested with my lights with PAR meter and the PAR significantly dropped (I noticed corals were extending more than usual).

My presets I made definitely have a lot of UV and Violet. 75% at peak day. And yes those are by far the best colors. This is definitely a design flaw with AI. No wonder they give the lenses out for free.
IMG_1945.jpeg

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hi there! I have the Primes as well so I'll have to look tonight to see if I have any issues... but I'm mainly here to comment on your preset. :)

Do you mind sharing your thoughts on the preset? (specifically why the changes after 6pm and why so many adjustment points in general) I'm a newbie with these lights so please forgive my ignorance. :)

1708960634264.png

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang so far I have been in love with the AI primes, but this has been a big blunder on my tank. I don’t know how long the lights went like this. I noticed something was wrong when I tested with my lights with PAR meter and the PAR significantly dropped (I noticed corals were extending more than usual).

My presets I made definitely have a lot of UV and Violet. 75% at peak day. And yes those are by far the best colors. This is definitely a design flaw with AI. No wonder they give the lenses out for free.
IMG_1945.jpeg
Fun analysis...

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common issue. It's on the UV and Violet diodes, IIRC. I replace mine about every year...16 lenses should be arriving soon.
Will they replace all those lenses for free for you?

@Jesse Sunday
Happy to explain. I first off copied Aaron Youngers Fluval Evo preset (his tank is wonderful), and I started making adjustments from there over time messing with the lights and finding what I liked most. The crazy changes around evening time is because I like to have more whites during the day, and than heavily switch to heavy blue/purples starting at evening time. This was my poor attempt at doing this lol. If you notice the whites ramp down as the blues/violets ramp up, or are a majority spectrum. A lot of the "squiggles" are just due to the somewhat difficult nature of adjusting the PRESET on my IPHONE. I have noticed a lot of nice tanks presets have these, so I didnt think to bother trying to straighten the line out.
It was easy. I used the 3d reefing diffuser. https://3dreefing.com/products/prime-diffuser
I had one of those on my Evo for 3 years! I still have in stored away. Once my PAR dropped I wondered if it had anything to do with the diffuser so I took it off (I had not known the real cause yet). I was also worried it was cutting off to much light on the bottom corners of the tank - PAR meter confirmed it does do this.

Does it just prevent water from splashing in?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will they replace all those lenses for free for you?

Happy to explain. I first off copied Aaron Youngers Fluval Evo preset (his tank is wonderful), and I started making adjustments from there over time messing with the lights and finding what I liked most. The crazy changes around evening time is because I like to have more whites during the day, and than heavily switch to heavy blue/purples starting at evening time. This was my poor attempt at doing this lol. If you notice the whites ramp down as the blues/violets ramp up, or are a majority spectrum. A lot of the "squiggles" are just due to the somewhat difficult nature of adjusting the PRESET on my IPHONE. I have noticed a lot of nice tanks presets have these, so I didnt think to bother trying to straighten the line out.

I had one of those on my Evo for 3 years! I still have in stored away. Once my PAR dropped I wondered if it had anything to do with the diffuser so I took it off (I had not known the real cause yet). I was also worried it was cutting off to much light on the bottom corners of the tank - PAR meter confirmed it does do this.

Does it just prevent water from splashing in?

It is supposed to better blend the colors from my understanding but I mainly used it to avoid having the lens on the light fixture and having that melt.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is supposed to better blend the colors from my understanding but I mainly used it to avoid having the lens on the light fixture and having that melt.
My mistake!! I actually just got the AI Shade, not the actual diffuser. I did not realize the Diffuser comes with an added screen (I thought diffuser and shade were the same thing). Have you ever tested PAR with and without the diffuser? Also just to clarify the lens is still being used underneath the diffuser, correct?

Here is an interesting discussion on the diffusers and their effectiveness on AI Primes. Just a heads-up up the one person noted a 12% PAR decrease with the diffuser.

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Happy to explain.

THIS! This is what I love about this forum and the people! Thanks so much! I'll check out his preset since I'm not super happy with mine. (actually, my wife isn't too happy with mine - she says it's too blue and washes everything out) :p

Also, I totally understand the struggle of editing on a phone... is there another way to edit the presets? (other than a text editor editing the .aip file manually, which I might end up doing)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mistake!! I actually just got the AI Shade, not the actual diffuser. I did not realize the Diffuser comes with an added screen (I thought diffuser and shade were the same thing). Have you ever tested PAR with and without the diffuser? Also just to clarify the lens is still being used underneath the diffuser, correct?

Here is an interesting discussion on the diffusers and their effectiveness on AI Primes. Just a heads-up up the one person noted a 12% PAR decrease with the diffuser.

I haven't compared the par before and after since its just being used as a refugium light.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the new preset I worked up. Reduced the UVs from 75% to 45%. Decreased blues a bit, but I don’t want to change my violets they’re my favorite color. I also increased my whites reds and greens because I need more PAR.

Are those two melted parts on both lenses the violets?? If so I may have to change that also.
IMG_1946.jpeg

@Jesse Sunday happy to help. If you join the Fluval Evo FB group you can get it from him. I think he has a R2R account though. We all like blues/violets a lot. If you message me your email I can send you 2-3x good presets and you can change them around a bit (add more whites). You can use an Ipad to make editing a bit easier I heard.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know - are both of these melted lenses above at the Violet spot? I also just got recommended Luxidium Lenses. I am looking into those now!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back