3 clownfish

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says I have a quick question about putting 3 clownfish in my tank.

At the moment all my fish are in QT because of ich, I recently had a female clownfish die from what I believe was brook but no other fish have shown symptoms of anything so I'm not too sure.. But anyway since I only have the male clownfish left I was planning on getting another clownfish so he could have a buddy but due to that it may take awhile to get another one of he's species I decided why not just let him be by himself. Well as in not paired with another clown, he will be with other fish though. My plan is to move him into our 50g with a coral beauty that is his best bud in QT and a few other smaller fish around his size.

So now it comes to my question. At my LFS there is three regular orange ocellaris clownfish. I planned on just buying two and putting them in my 22g once it's ready but knowing the sensitive side of myself I began to get a little upset about leaving the third one by himself.. These three clownfish came from the same hatch and have been in the same tank for many months together at the store. I understand that when they get mature they will kill off one but will that always be the case?
If so I can always move one to another tank but would like to know if 3 clownfish can work in a 22g? And for how long? Or maybe can they be ok forever?
I would just like to get some opinions before I go out and get them.. So thanks for any help!

xviijdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, IMO its a 50.50 shot. Atleast in a 20 gallon. You have to watch out for it. you can always put them all in there and see what happens. Talk to your LFS a lot of times they will let you bring one of them back. thats at the very least. But the bigger the tank the better the shot, Room to get away from any agression.

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, IMO its a 50.50 shot. Atleast in a 20 gallon. You have to watch out for it. you can always put them all in there and see what happens. Talk to your LFS a lot of times they will let you bring one of them back. thats at the very least. But the bigger the tank the better the shot, Room to get away from any agression.
Yeah I will definitely watch out for aggression. But if it doesn't work out I was gonna give one to my brother for his tank but he has an eel and I'm not too sure what small fish can be compatible with a snowflake eel when it's a baby but we'll see I guess. And yes I definitely want them to have room if there will be aggression in the future. It's just it'll be the three clowns and three other tiny fish in the tank so maybe they'll be ok for awhile since at the store they're still babies.
But thank you for your help!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 44.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 21 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back