3 ReefLED, 2 mount solution help

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to get more into acros and want to improve spread and PAR. Currently I have 2 ReefLED 90s on my Reefer 250 (3ft tank). They have served me well, but I have noticed issues with shading as colonies get bigger. I was thinking of using my spare ReefLED 90 to supplement my current lighting. I have a custom lid with cutouts for the 2 redsea light mounts as shown below, and I don't know if I can make cut outs for a 3rd mounting arm without damaging the integrity of the lid.

Is there a way to engineer a solution using the holes for the hanging kit to mount the 3rd light in between. Will the additional weight cause issues for the mounting arms and tank? Should I just explore a supplemental lighting bar like the Reefbrite XHO or Orphek or AI Blade bars? Being able to ramp the lights up and down is important to me.

IMG_5572.jpg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn’t have issues notching your lid out with a jig saw if you have one. It should be polycarbonate which is in breakable.. If you wanted to bypass that I’d say you could build some sort of bridge across your current lights that sits on top and lay the third on top of that.. it would be ugly thou lol.. other option is build a light rack to mount all your lights and hang it from the ceiling

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One issue is I think with a third you really need to push the other two out more. So you’d have to do a lot of lid modifications.

They make a pendant that the reefleds mount into. If you want to hang them, maybe look into that?

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue is I think with a third you really need to push the other two out more. So you’d have to do a lot of lid modifications.

They make a pendant that the reefleds mount into. If you want to hang them, maybe look into that?
With a third in the middle do you think I’ll get hotspots? I don’t really need the par on the edges or are you thinking it doesn’t resolve shadowing unless spaced further apart?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back