30 gallon stocking

nickp9054

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve got a 30 gallon with a pair of saddleback clownfish, a pajama cardinal, and a midas blenny. I would like to add one more fish. I’ve narrowed it down to a dwarf angel, an azure damsel, and a yasha goby/pistol shrimp. I know damsel or angel would be more aggressive but better coloring. Yasha and pistol would be cool though. Any recommendations? And if I get a dwarf angel, which one would be best, like cherub, coral beauty, flame back, etc. thanks!

mrgster5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 g long and have 2 clowns, a coral beauty, cleaner shrimp, court jester goby, and 2 pajama cardinals. My tank is so peaceful, they don't even compete for food, if two or more are going for a piece they all usually back off. The angelfish does nip at corals though, but it doesn't seem to do any damage.

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest that you don't add any more fish. However, if you are going to do it anyways, go for the yasha goby/shrimp pair. Definitely do not add a dwarf angelfish unless you upgrade.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve got a 30 gallon with a pair of saddleback clownfish, a pajama cardinal, and a midas blenny. I would like to add one more fish. I’ve narrowed it down to a dwarf angel, an azure damsel, and a yasha goby/pistol shrimp. I know damsel or angel would be more aggressive but better coloring. Yasha and pistol would be cool though. Any recommendations? And if I get a dwarf angel, which one would be best, like cherub, coral beauty, flame back, etc. thanks!
You could fit an angel in there np. If you do get one I’d go with the flame or coral beauty. Don’t get a damsel. They’re all murder biscuits. Only issue you may have is coral beauties sometimes nip corals.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO A dwarf would be asking for aggression issues in a tank that small. Yasha is nice fish and they will stay out of the way of the other fish

Sprinting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yasha goby with candycane pistol shrimp is nice but they aren't nearly as active and you'll only have 4 fish at that point. It'll barely have any bioload and then come out occasionally for feedings. If you get lucky and it's up front, that would be sweet.

I say get the goby established first then maybe a pygmy angel fish. It's very hardy and by far the smallest nugget. If you have a good amount of live rock with hiding placing, that'll help. I never had aggression issues in my nuvo 25 with 10+ nano fish. This angel is a bully though if you add fish after or if there isn't enough room with hiding places but I think you may notice the same aggression with other angels. Add them at the very end after your other fish are completely establish and have been doing well for at least a month.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back