30 Gallon Sump/Refugium Build

Xler8n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im starting on my 30 gallon sump/refugium for my 75 gallon tank to fit my ASM G3 skimmer. I got the tank. I got 4 1/4" Acrylic baffles instead of glass. Stores in my area wanted $15 for a 1/4" - 11 7/8" x 10" piece of glass. I thought acrylic is more expensive but i guess not. Got all 6 baffles (2 spare) for $40 cut to size. Problem is i got them cut to 11 7/8", turns out they need to be even smaller maybe, 11 3/4" or 5/8". Back to the acrylic shop but this time im bringing the 30gallon with me. I was planning on using the far right chamber as intake/skimmer because the tank had a hole drilled in the back so i guess ill use this hole. Then refugium in the middle and return on the far left. I wanted to do it this way so i could minimize head lose on my Rio 2100 return. The flow will go from right to left. After the skimmer will be a 3 baffle bubble trap, over under over so the skimmer section will be a constant 10". Then a single 6" baffle to seperate the sand bed in the fuge from the return pump. The 6" acrylic will have some egg crate installed on top so as to keep livestock in the fuge area. I couldnt figure out which Silicone to buy for the baffles. I thought GE 1 or GE 2. I guess the difference is GE 2 is able to contact water within 4 hrs instead of 24hrs. Anyhow i found a better silicone sealant but its about $1 more than GE 2. Its GE 100% Silicone Sealant for plastic sheets and other plastics. It even says its excellent for marine applications above the waterline and says nothing about preventing mold or mildew like the GE 1 and 2 said. Here are some shots. Ill keep you guys posted.

c6e4e2d2-c24c-e9ba.jpg

c6e4e2d2-c26a-97ac.jpg

c6e4e2d2-c2f8-029d.jpg

c6e4e2d2-c30d-0587.jpg

c6e4e2d2-c328-4eca.jpg

OP
OP
Xler8n

Xler8n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... I got the baffles cut to the right size and got them in. There are some spots that i cant reach with the caulking gun so im going to have to rig some kind of extension tubing or use a dowel or knife of some sort to get down to the bottom of the inside baffles. Heres an updated pick of the sump. Now i gotta wait 24 hrs to cure and then the water test.
c6e4e333-f59b-9541.jpg

OP
OP
Xler8n

Xler8n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i got everything siliconed in. I had some trouble getting the silicone into the tight spots in between the baffles so i made a contraption using a metal hanger and some airline tubing. I had to wait because i forgot to buy some eggcrate from HD. Water test due for tomm. Ill keep you guys posted. Oh.. I currently have a 2"-3" sandbed in the refugium i have now. I have never touched this sandbed since i put it in. How should i deal with this? Should i put the sand into the new refugium or should i toss it and just go bare bottom with some live rock and cheato??

c6e4e3b6-6106-38f7.jpg

c6e4e3b6-6119-a759.jpg

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine though, I turned ten gallons of sand over and moved it with no problem.

OP
OP
Xler8n

Xler8n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry i havent updated the build in a few days but i finally finished. I wanted to move the tank but i was waiting for the $$ to get the skimmer and build the sump. I knew i was going to have to take the middle support off the back of the stand so i figure i'd do it all in one shot. First i was going to drain as much water as i could, left about 1/4. I took out the biggest rocks on top which sucks because i had them exactly how i wanted. Everyone knows once you take out a few you can never get them exactly the same. I then hammered out the support panel then slid the 30 gallon in. I used wood glue to reattach the bottom and a screw with wood glue at the top. Everything looks MUCH better then it did before. All this, was so that i could have a better skimmer then my Bak Pak 2. The sump/fuge was basically built around my ASM G3. I cant wait to see the impact this skimmer has on my corals compared to the last. Enough with the talk, heres some pics..

Test Run:
c6e4c0f2-0a84-c2f1.jpg

Old Sump/Fuge:
c6e4c0f2-0aaa-456d.jpg

New Sump/Fuge!!!
c6e4c0f2-0ad0-d9b8.jpg

c6e4c0f2-0ca5-58fe.jpg

RaeRae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. In my new build about to come up I think I am going to do one as well.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 45 39.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 59 51.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back