300+ Gallon Reef Refresh

bbranham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone

I am in the process of refreshing my 300+ Gallon Reef tank. It went for a number of years with minimal maintenance and I want to give some of the equipment an overhaul.
The tank is a cube of roughly 4'*5'*4' with a center overflow.

Starting with the overflow drain plumbing. Currently in the center overflow are 5 bulkheads (center electrical pass-through conduit for lighting and old controller probes, in each of the four corners are 1.5" bulkheads with plumbing for two returns in opposite corners with lockline Y fittings directing water and two in the final two corners with two durso style homemade drains)

The tank is fed from a basement rubbermaid sump being run by a sequence 5100seq22 pump with 16ish feet of head pressure and flowing roughly 3000gph.

Here are my goals:
1) *** Drains are obnoxiously loud I want to silence them (current drains T off under tank and return to sump using 2" PVC) Plan on converting to Herbie style but wonder if anyone knows much about a herbie with the T in the drain like I have?

2)I would love to reduce the power usage from the current 250 watts of usage on the pump.

3) Get Phosphate under control - currently running single two little fishes reactor but planning on switching to the dual chamber GFO/Carbon reactor from BRS.

4)change to a needle wheel skimmer from current MRC-2 Beckett - what needle wheels work well external to sumps?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for creating a build thread for us to follow! I’m starting up a 320g next month so will be watching this one for ideas LOL

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back