36 Gallon Saltwater Bowfront Stock options

ZackB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I am a beginner, and will be starting a saltwater tank next week and want to get working on a stock list for when my tank is cycled. I will be starting with just fish but would like to add coral down the road.
I will be using a 36 gallon bowfront with a HW303b canister filter, a Fluval Sea PS1 skimmer, a 150w heater, with 50 lbs of live rock, and 20 lbs live sand.

What I'am interested in so far is:
2 Bicolor Angelfish
3 yellowtail blue damsel
2 Clownfish
1 Green Mandarin (I've seen this been called green mandarin goby)
1 Longnose Hawkfish
1 Cardinal Fish
I would like a cleanup crew or algae eating fish but I'm not sure what I should add. Any suggestions? (I would like a bottomfeeder fish if one would would fit)

EDIT: After more research I've come up with a second stock option
1 Flame Angel (or maybe a different Angel, flames sound tough)
1 Flame Hawkfish
3 Green Mandarin
2 Clownfish
3 Three spot Domino Damsels
Any thoughts on this option??

I know this tank is probably overstocked, What should I remove so I can have most of what I want?
I would like to have a large community of different and colorful fish. I'am open to ANY suggestions....

Thanks
Zach

EthanDouglas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that flame angels are known to nip at corals. Also, the mandarins need an established tank to feed on the pods that grow after time. This is just information I have come across by reading forum posts, not personal experience, so it may not be entirely correct.

I definitely think that you should start slow and let the tank adjust for a few weeks when you add fish.

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I am a beginner, and will be starting a saltwater tank next week and want to get working on a stock list for when my tank is cycled. I will be starting with just fish but would like to add coral down the road.
I will be using a 36 gallon bowfront with a HW303b canister filter, a Fluval Sea PS1 skimmer, a 150w heater, with 50 lbs of live rock, and 20 lbs live sand.

2 Bicolor Angelfish
3 yellowtail blue damsel
2 Clownfish
1 Longnose Hawkfish
1 Cardinal Fish
I would like a cleanup crew or algae eating fish but I'm not sure what I should add. Any suggestions? (I would like a bottomfeeder fish if one would would fit)

1 Flame Hawkfish
3 Green Mandarin
2 Clownfish

I know this tank is probably overstocked, What should I remove so I can have most of what I want?
I would like to have a large community of different and colorful fish. I'am open to ANY suggestions....

Thanks
Zach
You also need to be aware of what fish you put in, and in what order. Some need to be put in first, others can be introduced later.

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents domino damsels are mean suckers plus they typically need a lot of tank space because they are territorial. Started with one in my first tank and it ended up back at the fish store.

Guy3103

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought about getting a domino myself a couple of month ago and was told the same thing. I don't have experience with angel fish, but starting with the clowns, yellowtail and cardinal should work nicely. That's actually what I had first in my tank.

What measurements is your tank?

Grimreaperz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins will not survive in a tank that small even with an established pod population...unless you are feed or he eats frozen....but I have heard it's rare for them to eat frozen. 1 would be pushing it for a 36...I have the same tank and a 29g sump and chose not to take the risk of killing them....they are beautiful though. Maybe after you add a 10+g Fuge you could support a ruby red dragonette...clowns and damsels may go at it.

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins will not survive in a tank that small even with an established pod population...unless you are feed or he eats frozen....but I have heard it's rare for them to eat frozen. 1 would be pushing it for a 36...I have the same tank and a 29g sump and chose not to take the risk of killing them....they are beautiful though. Maybe after you add a 10+g Fuge you could support a ruby red dragonette...clowns and damsels may go at it.

Agreed, 1 max, even then, make sure you have a huge pod population.

Damsels are mean, but I've never had one personally. But I did have a 36g bowfront with a PseudoChromis, that ran the tank. So be careful.

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

2 Bicolor Angelfish
3 yellowtail blue damsel
2 Clownfish
1 Longnose Hawkfish
1 Cardinal Fish

1 Flame Hawkfish
3 Green Mandarin
2 Clownfish

Thanks
Zach

2 Bicolor Angelfish-Only one angel the tank this small is pushing it for the angel and two will never get along. Add sixth.
3 yellowtail blue damsel- I would only get 1 if you add more they will fight in a tank this small. I have 2 blue Devils in my 125 gallon tank and they always fight. Add fourth
2 Clownfis- perfect beginner fish Add second
1 Green Mandarin (I've seen this been called green mandarin goby) Very hard to keep in a tank this small. The tank should be established for a year and with a high amount of pods. Need a refugium to keep the pods going in a tank this small. Add last.
1 Longnose Hawkfish-good add fifth.
1 Cardinal Fish-good (make sure to get captive bred. The wild ones are endangered) add third.
I would like a cleanup crew or algae eating fish but I'm not sure what I should add. Any suggestions? (I would like a bottomfeeder fish if one would would fit) Any snails, hermit crab (may kill snails for thier shell), cleaner shrimp and any goby. Hawk fish may try to eat the inverts so be carefully. Add goby and CUC first

with a second stock option
1 Flame Angel (or maybe a different Angel, flames sound tough) -good only keep 1 add fourth
1 Flame Hawkfish-good add third
3 Green Mandarin-defiantly NO 1 mandarin is pushing the limit by a lot, 3 will starve and kill them all. Add last when pod population is huge.
2 Clownfish-good add first
3 Three spot Domino Damsels-mean buggers only keep one. Add second

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Bicolor Angelfish-Only one angel the tank this small is pushing it for the angel and two will never get along. Add sixth.
3 yellowtail blue damsel- I would only get 1 if you add more they will fight in a tank this small. I have 2 blue Devils in my 125 gallon tank and they always fight. Add fourth
2 Clownfis- perfect beginner fish Add second
1 Green Mandarin (I've seen this been called green mandarin goby) Very hard to keep in a tank this small. The tank should be established for a year and with a high amount of pods. Need a refugium to keep the pods going in a tank this small. Add last.
1 Longnose Hawkfish-good add fifth.
1 Cardinal Fish-good (make sure to get captive bred. The wild ones are endangered) add third.
I would like a cleanup crew or algae eating fish but I'm not sure what I should add. Any suggestions? (I would like a bottomfeeder fish if one would would fit) Any snails, hermit crab (may kill snails for thier shell), cleaner shrimp and any goby. Hawk fish may try to eat the inverts so be carefully. Add goby and CUC first

with a second stock option
1 Flame Angel (or maybe a different Angel, flames sound tough) -good only keep 1 add fourth
1 Flame Hawkfish-good add third
3 Green Mandarin-defiantly NO 1 mandarin is pushing the limit by a lot, 3 will starve and kill them all. Add last when pod population is huge.
2 Clownfish-good add first
3 Three spot Domino Damsels-mean buggers only keep one. Add second
I've never had much luck with Angelfish. I've had a Coral Beauty, and a Flame. Both died. I'm afraid to try another one, i hate killing fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back