3D Printable Live Rock

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sand inside the plastic rock would fall into the holes, clogging them, and in order for the rock to be feasibly printed, the holes would be too few to let flow through. (Good) live rock doesn't get clogged because it is filled with pores and there is nothing inside the rock to clog the pores. Having the sand sit in a basin within the plastic rock would not give you enough surface area for ample nitrification. Remember that the pores in live rock are much smaller than the space between sand particles.
I think you missed the parts where the holes would be above the sand line, which means the sand would never touch any holes and that flow would be directed not just at the surface of the sand, but at the edge where it meets the container, driving flow deep into the sand bed and out the other side as the flow hugs the curvature of the container.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you missed the parts where the holes would be above the sand line, which means the sand would never touch any holes and that flow would be directed not just at the surface of the sand, but at the edge where it meets the container, driving flow deep into the sand bed and out the other side as the flow hugs the curvature of the container.
Still, there would not be enough surface area for ample nitrification, as the plastic rock would only be partially filled with sand. The flow would also not go deep into the sand, but bounce off the surface, as there is no opening on the underside of the sand to let flow through.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still, there would not be enough surface area for ample nitrification, as the plastic rock would only be partially filled with sand. The flow would also not go deep into the sand, but bounce off the surface, as there is no opening on the underside of the sand to let flow through.
Shape of flow = U. The opening is on the opposite side of the rock and with enough force, (enough to ripple the surface of the sand) flow will reach the bottom, follow the inner curvature of the “rock” and will flow back out the sand on the opposing end. This is easily replicated by filling a bowl with sand and pouring water onto one side.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%

Back