3d printed aquarium parts?

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way they are cheap here. I was saying we need it so I can 3D print a holding fixture to simulate part assembly as I check the surface profile of the part. It would be for plastic car parts. Some times plastic warps itself when it is unassembled (big example is any kind of arched part like a fender garnish, the plastic piece that follows the curve of the body above the wheels). Assembling warps it. So after assembly you get more realistic results of real world shape as it's in a vehicle, such as the outside of a car above the tire.
Thats quite a good argument to purchase one. What price range were you looking at? The one we have is by no means industrial grade, its max build size is 8" x 8" x 12". It only cost about $500.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats quite a good argument to purchase one. What price range were you looking at? The one we have is by no means industrial grade, its max build size is 8" x 8" x 12". It only cost about $500.

I don't know but preferably accurate to .005" (or less) so it would probably be expensive lol realistically I need smaller than that but I'm willing to use sandpaper to fine tune the surface. :)

It's that or they spend like $20,000 (estimate, not sure real price) on an all aluminum CNC machined fixture which they use on assembly. But in the mean time you can prototype it by printing. Also why not prototype full parts? And usually I don't have the fixture when I do my initial inspection. The FAI (first full inspection basically) determines part shape which influences revisions and in the end modifications to the fixture. However... the fixture will help for more accurate numbers to determine if some of that stuff is actually needed. If not we measure ship to the customer then they try it and say what is happening. But it's best when results match.. Fixtures don't also garanty 100% simulation either. I just measured a part that is in tolerance but it's breaking. In 30minutes we will discuss it on a conference call. The measurements are accurate and in tolerance. It's a design issue from the customer end now. So they will probably modify the part for strength.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.005" = 127 microns.
Our 3d printer is accurate to 100 microns. So it wouldn't be that expensive really. It may be time to reopen the 3d printer negotiations lol

On a side note: CNC machines make me drool. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I had access to one.

Ldogg

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are 3D printing houses now, and we will be 3d printing parts on future space missions. I have one and they are super useful. if you look on Thingiverse.com you can't find thousands of items already designed. you just download the stl files, open the slicer application on your pc or mac and print. My kids use them at school as well.

Ldogg

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some examples.

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_2835.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.005" = 127 microns.
Our 3d printer is accurate to 100 microns. So it wouldn't be that expensive really. It may be time to reopen the 3d printer negotiations lol

On a side note: CNC machines make me drool. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I had access to one.

Ya it's funny working with car companies everything is metric. Then I talk to the guys that make the parts and everything is in inches. Made in America :)

but idk what the cost of material is on CNC stuff is. I know 20k-100k in material blocks they bring here for making molds.

Plus the risk of crashing the machine. I went to visit my brother and they were making some random parts to .0002" at his shop. His probe on his CNC can check to .0001" (2.54 microns). I know he has made medical parts to a couple tenths.

I'd say what we make stuff to but I can't due to policy with customers. Manufacturing..

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.005" = 127 microns.

If you wanted some one off stuff my brother can probably quote you and machine stuff. He is a smaller business so I know some bigger business don't entertain one off items. He is very very good at what he does and literally has better stuff than my work here (since he cares more about being the best over being cheap). They have to be cheap at my work because they fail and failure cost money. And they fail because they're cheap. And they're cheap because they fail. Even Henry Ford realized he'd make more money when he paid more, and he did, and it worked.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Ldogg

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
E

Eric LeClair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I'm overwhelmed. Thanks for the awesome info guys. Looks like this is something I'll be further exploring for sure. :)

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3D printing is pretty cool. Lot's of possibilities ! I want window screen corners that can be turned over so the channel to hold the spline & screen faces up !

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to cut out a square out of a corner for say a return or such. So You need a corner that faces in & one pointing out either way one of them has to be turned up the other upside down. Would be better to show You a pic.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 38 37.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 54 52.9%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 3.9%
Back