4 dead fish

choward1980

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had 4 dead fish in the past 2 weeks. Ive checked the water 3 times and everything is spot on. Temp is 80. I have a pink tip anemone, could he be killing the fish. 3 clowns a blemmy, and a golby.

OP
OP
choward1980

choward1980

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I can tell. I did a water change yesterday. I have a 29 gallon bio cube. When I did the change I left the fish in there. The temp was around 80. I changed out about 4 gallons but that water was a little bit colder. Could this have killed them. Do I need to take the fish out when doing a water change.

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubtful...
Nems don't normally kill without trying to eat them...and clowns can't normally be stunk by nems bad enough to kill unless they are ill already...
You said you've checked your water 3 times...what are your #'s and what have you changed or started before you first noticed the fish dying?

(I found out, as I started to have a few fish deaths, my husband had sprayed air freshener in my tank room)
Sometimes, miscellaneous, normal things can really affect your tank and its inhabitants....

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not take your fish out when doing a water change,,,, you should make sure the current tank water and the new change water have the same PH and Temp...this could shock the fish if it is way off....

Intricateart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No on removing the fish. You want your reef to remain stable. Need to match temp. and salinity 100%. Many people keep water made in containers with a pump and heater to keep it matched. Did you see any Ich on your fish. You have to be very careful when doing water changes on smaller systems.

OP
OP
choward1980

choward1980

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my clown fish had a few whit spots on him. What do I do now. I still have another clown that doesn't have whit spots. He seems fine.

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, hold on...how many and what kinda of fish are in this tank...it also sounds like clownfish aggression could have brought this n..no more than 1 pair of clowns in a tank this small...they will kill each other...
It's a 29g bio cube right? What were your ammonia, nitrate, phosphate and SG#'s....

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One question. How long has this tank been set up?

Edit: just skimmed through your other posts. Not trying to be mean but you need to stop buying fish until you get an understanding of how to cycle and maintain a tank. You said the LFS gave you some water from one of there tanks so you wouldn't have to cycle the tank. It doesn't work that way and is recommend a better fish store.

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 64 46.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 44 31.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back