40B Journey

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, this is going to be the page that I dedicate to getting my saltwater aquarium up and going. I did post this on another site, but will be updating both, so if this needs to be posted somewhere else, please let me know. I will warn anyone who is reading that this will be a drawn out process, as my work schedule and the holidays will be dictating how much time I can put into getting everything set up and together. Not to mention, I like to make sure I have my ducks in a row before I go throwing things together. If you cant tell by the title, I have a 40 breeder aquarium now, (thanks to $ per gallon sale). The next item up, will be building a stand for it. The stand will not be anything fancy, just a simple 2x4 stand with some kind of skinning on the outside.
I am leaning towards getting a Fiji cube AIO insert for this tank. I am just afraid that with a sump, and having occasional power outages, I really do not want a whole aquarium worth of water all over the floor of my house.
For lighting, I am probably going to go with a LED T5 hybrid of some sorts. I do not have anything definite planned yet, but I am open to considerations. Also, I have the $$ to buy the best of the best name brands, but I prefer to buy on a more practical sense. I don't need wifi, remote access, fingerprint security, Alexa capabilities, the ability to switch to grow the best THC based plants, or even automatic door locks & power windows (errr canopies). lol
For coral, I am not the type of person to go spend a bunch of money on a name, so I will probably be shopping for the bargain deals and the "I'm not real sure what this is" sales. I will have a GSP (cheap) island, cheaper Zoas, clove polyp & softies, a couple rock nem's and maybe a leather or 2. Don't grill me too much, but I am just not a fan of SPS, so there wont be any of those.

As far as fish stocking goes, I think it would be neat to have a goby (singular or pair) dominated tank, with maybe one clown fish. Although I am still doing research on what all kinds of gobies can be placed together in the same aquarium, I seem to be getting some conflicting information. Does anyone have actual, first hand experience with this ?

I already have about 150 pounds of dry rock, and will do the majority of scaping with it, but I am not wanting to start and cycle this with only dry rock. Does anyone have an idea on where to buy just one or two (live) rock ? The closest LFS to me is about 30 minutes away, and I very rarely travel to that city. The next closest is over an hour away. I have looked online at the vendors for the cultured live rock, and it seems as if the minimum order is for 25 pounds ... and I don't need 25 more pounds of rock.

Enough rambling,
Adam

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! I encourage you to also post this in the member tanks section and maintain your build thread there. In the mean time, we will gladly welcome you in this thread - we're glad you're here!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, this is going to be the page that I dedicate to getting my saltwater aquarium up and going. I did post this on another site, but will be updating both, so if this needs to be posted somewhere else, please let me know. I will warn anyone who is reading that this will be a drawn out process, as my work schedule and the holidays will be dictating how much time I can put into getting everything set up and together. Not to mention, I like to make sure I have my ducks in a row before I go throwing things together. If you cant tell by the title, I have a 40 breeder aquarium now, (thanks to $ per gallon sale). The next item up, will be building a stand for it. The stand will not be anything fancy, just a simple 2x4 stand with some kind of skinning on the outside.
I am leaning towards getting a Fiji cube AIO insert for this tank. I am just afraid that with a sump, and having occasional power outages, I really do not want a whole aquarium worth of water all over the floor of my house.
For lighting, I am probably going to go with a LED T5 hybrid of some sorts. I do not have anything definite planned yet, but I am open to considerations. Also, I have the $$ to buy the best of the best name brands, but I prefer to buy on a more practical sense. I don't need wifi, remote access, fingerprint security, Alexa capabilities, the ability to switch to grow the best THC based plants, or even automatic door locks & power windows (errr canopies). lol
For coral, I am not the type of person to go spend a bunch of money on a name, so I will probably be shopping for the bargain deals and the "I'm not real sure what this is" sales. I will have a GSP (cheap) island, cheaper Zoas, clove polyp & softies, a couple rock nem's and maybe a leather or 2. Don't grill me too much, but I am just not a fan of SPS, so there wont be any of those.

As far as fish stocking goes, I think it would be neat to have a goby (singular or pair) dominated tank, with maybe one clown fish. Although I am still doing research on what all kinds of gobies can be placed together in the same aquarium, I seem to be getting some conflicting information. Does anyone have actual, first hand experience with this ?

I already have about 150 pounds of dry rock, and will do the majority of scaping with it, but I am not wanting to start and cycle this with only dry rock. Does anyone have an idea on where to buy just one or two (live) rock ? The closest LFS to me is about 30 minutes away, and I very rarely travel to that city. The next closest is over an hour away. I have looked online at the vendors for the cultured live rock, and it seems as if the minimum order is for 25 pounds ... and I don't need 25 more pounds of rock.

Enough rambling,
Adam

Hi Adam and Welcome! Glad you joined. You are well on your way

keep doing your research on gobies - while some can do pairs, I've had some aggression issues so then you need a plan B - but if single goby type (multiple single types) then likely better going forward. AND, for those that have listened to me say 'blue gobies need a friend...' well, that was a fluke... that original pair disappeared (eaten, overflow, unknown) replacement gobie, got a friend and WOW they zoom all over my 180g ... wish I had just one because these are constantly not happy the other is there (sad)

Add bottled bacteria to your system to compensate for the dry rock... you'll free yourself of potential nasties and save yourself hassle. There are multiple types of bottled bacteria.

Post #2 is right, your info will be better in the member Forum aquarium section (see post and they embedded link to make navigation easy.) You can just copy everything from above into your new post. Here everyone will want to come say "Hello" because it is Forum "Meet and Greet"

Happy Reefing!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Good luck with your aquarium build!

C7A5BA93-A50A-4B1E-8949-B45685602BC4.gif

OP
OP
Solga

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome, and for the correct place to put a build thread !

Just to add a little bit the the meet & greet part... I'm 46, and pretty much a jack of all trades. Not afraid to get dirty, or do the DIY stuff....as long as a balance is maintained. No sense in putting 100 hours into something that can be bought for $20.
I am from a little town of about 1200 people (if lucky) in the eastern part of Indiana, about half way between Indy and Ft Wayne.
I've had aquariums, on and off, around for my whole life, from little 2 gallon up to 250 gallon. Although I have mostly had fresh water, i have had a few salt water tanks, and I took care of my dad's 185 gal salt water (FOWLR), for quite a while, because he had a surgery and couldn't get into the basement to care for it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Enough rambling,
Adam

Attachments

• 72267.png
    72267.png
    57 KB · Views: 14

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back