450 Gallon Display - 800 Gallon System Build

cshoneyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this build about a month ago on a different forum but decided to move it here so that I can possibly get additional feedback on the questions that I come up with.

Here is what I started with. 75 gallon in the wall.
75 pic.JPG

I ordered this. 450 gallon 96x36x30 with Starphire on both long sides and external overflow

IMG-20110827-00103.jpg

Demo Completed 2/2
076.jpg

The tank's overflow has 3 1 1/2 bulkheads for drains one of which will be set up in the event I have some pluggage in the two primary drains. There also is a 1" bulkhead that will be used to feed a fuge that will be pipied in the system.

Sump will be 60 x36x30 which I will estimate will contain 160 gallons of water in a running state and a shutdown capacity of 280 gallons. This gives me a 120 gallons of buffer before water hits the floor.

The current 75 will become the fuge to house both bad actors in the main display and chaeto. its lighting will be inversed from the main display to help prevent swings in the pH.

Circulation Plans

The current plan is to use 2- Blueline 100 pumps to be the main return with one being a duty pump and the other an online spare in the event something was to take the primary pump down. I travel from time to time and need the wife to be able to make a switch with very little effort. The return pump will be feed through both the chiller and 80 Watt Emperor Aquatics Smart HO UV.

The closed loop system will be driven by a Reeflo Hammerhead with up to 10 outlets in the tank.

Protein Skimmer

I currently have a MRC3 with a Bluline 70 and two injectors. I currently plan to start out with this skimmer on this system and possibly add a 12 riser to the unit. My hopes is that this will keep up with the tank while the bioload is light. It will most likely be replaced as the tank matures and the bioload increases.

Chiller

I have been given so many opinions here that I am not sure where to start. I have had both 1 HP and 1 1/2 HP units recommended and I am not sure which direction to go. I have a tradewinds 1/3 hp that has served me well and I have thought about buying a larger one to support the new tank but would to love to hear feed back from the forum on this matter.

Lighting

I plan to start with 250 watt metal halides. I have 8 units available for me to start with but I think I am going to use the 5 electrnic setups I have to begin with. I am also considering LEDs. s I would like to hear your opinions about the following systems.

Kessil a350
AI Vega Color

Control

I plan to automate the tank so that it handles its day to day needs such as sump top off and chemical additives on its own. In addition I plan to have pH, ORP, tempature, conductivity, and dissolved O2 online and alarms that will go out. This control is still in the planning statges but should allow the tank to do most of the needs on its own and call for help in the event of a problem.

I look forward to hearing your comments on this build.

OP
OP
C

cshoneyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2/16
This weekend has seen some progress.

The stand made it in place Friday and took 4 of us to navigate the house to get it in place with the wife figuring out the puzzle to get it to pass through the doors.

Saturday I spent the morning with 2 others full time and 2 part-time (wife and daughter supervisors) to place this beast on its stand. I felt a lot better once the tank was on top of its stand.
002.jpg

004.jpg

I will be placing piping in the walls and putting up water resistant sheetrock.

OP
OP
C

cshoneyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well another weekend has come and gone and I thought I would post the progress made.
The stand and tank are in the final position and I have started the closed loop piping.

All goes well we will be ready for water testing in the main display and closed loop next week.

007.jpg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome tank and massive upgrade!

Emoney

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice!! will be following along

Love the tank size! where did you get the beast? can you pm me the price of the tank if you dont mind

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I would hate to drill that nice tank full of closed loop holes. A couple of well-placed Tunze Streams would do it (hidden, if you like). So much less commitment and more flexibility with powerheads.

That switch would make a dent in the heat situation you'll have with that MH setup too. All costs counted - high watts(=heat), chiller operation (which uses a crapload of power and necessitates a bigger return pump), bulb replacements, Hg in the bulbs - I just have a problem justifying non-LED lighting anymore. It's expensive, no matter the up-front costs!

Switch to LED's and you can chunk the chiller out of your budget for sure. This may qualify you for a smaller return pump too, or at least to dial down the BL100 so it'll use less power and run a bit cooler. I've yet to see either of those LED's you mention in person, but I have yet to hear a bad thing about them, FWIW. DIY can also be a good option...check out the DIY options for MultiChip LED's (this is what the Kessil uses). There are even some "generic" prebuilt floodlights (for example) using these if you'd want to go that route or get one as a sample. 10K, 16K and 20K seem to be the more common colors, but so-called "Actinic Hybrid" chips and others are available. (Check out those links above.) These would be much more efficient to build than traditional "single" LED's since you have a pretty large area to cover.

My $0.02. Hope it helps!

-Matt

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a monster tank. It looks small sitting outside and then the picture of it inside puts things into prospective.

Reef Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the size I am plamning. Great work! Following. ..

Enviado desde mi GT-I8190L usando Tapatalk 2

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef. That is an awesome tank. I would go with the 1 1/2 chiller personally. A smaller one would need to work harder to keep the water cool. The larger one would run less and for a shorter amount of time.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%

Back