45G DIY Shallow Reef Lagoon Build

listen2bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, allows my to grow corals on the bottom glass on one side, and still have wrasses and gobies
20170103_204527.jpeg

You can see the difference in the two sides

OP
OP
GraphicReefer

GraphicReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I get more serious about the completion of my build I'm looking to find stocking options. I live only a few hours from WWC, otherwise its my LFS, which is great but can't touch WWC's selection. Im not opposed to buying online via this site or eBay. What the best route? Auctions? Frag Packs? Im only asking because Id hate to buy livestock and then a huge sale or frag swap happen online and I was unaware lol.

Thanks for any advice!

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see how your tank progresses? Where did you get the tank? I've been looking for similar dimensions but haven't been able to locate anything...just about to order a custom from SCA.

OP
OP
GraphicReefer

GraphicReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see how your tank progresses? Where did you get the tank? I've been looking for similar dimensions but haven't been able to locate anything...just about to order a custom from SCA.

Hey Thanks! I got my tank from my LFS at a black friday sale, I paid $199, thought normally they're $249. Finding a pre-made thank with anything near these dims is almost impossible. If we are talking about the same SCA aquariums they were my second choice... I was looking at their 40 gallon lagoon? ( At least thats what I think it was ) But I didn't have the best experience with them just quoting the tank so ( that and I find a lot of people find them hard to work with ) So I went with a Deep Blue 45 Rimless. ( Its not advertised on their website anymore but I was told they have some stock ) Took about a week for mine to come in.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Thanks! I got my tank from my LFS at a black friday sale, I paid $199, thought normally they're $249. Finding a pre-made thank with anything near these dims is almost impossible. If we are talking about the same SCA aquariums they were my second choice... I was looking at their 40 gallon lagoon? ( At least thats what I think it was ) But I didn't have the best experience with them just quoting the tank so ( that and I find a lot of people find them hard to work with ) So I went with a Deep Blue 45 Rimless. ( Its not advertised on their website anymore but I was told they have some stock ) Took about a week for mine to come in.

Thanks, yeah...same place. I emailed them yesterday afternoon and got a response before midnight. I've had two of their tanks so I know they're good plus I'm getting custom size (36x24x12).

OP
OP
GraphicReefer

GraphicReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yeah...same place. I emailed them yesterday afternoon and got a response before midnight. I've had two of their tanks so I know they're good plus I'm getting custom size (36x24x12).

Its a hit or miss from them I hear. I was quoted $700 for the whole package ( Tank, Stand, Sump Ect) or $600 for just the tank so it left a kinda bad taste in my mouth. But I love the 36x24x12 dims! That would have been my first choice.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a hit or miss from them I hear. I was quoted $700 for the whole package ( Tank, Stand, Sump Ect) or $600 for just the tank so it left a kinda bad taste in my mouth. But I love the 36x24x12 dims! That would have been my first choice.

We'll see how it turns out...waiting to hear back on a couple of questions so I can place the order!

OP
OP
GraphicReefer

GraphicReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll see how it turns out...waiting to hear back on a couple of questions so I can place the order!

Let me know! Maybe a future build for me! But believe me, I'm not defending Deep Blue I know they're on the lower tier on the aquarium totem poll. Those were just the stars that aligned for me :)

listen2bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I get more serious about the completion of my build I'm looking to find stocking options. I live only a few hours from WWC, otherwise its my LFS, which is great but can't touch WWC's selection. Im not opposed to buying online via this site or eBay. What the best route? Auctions? Frag Packs? Im only asking because Id hate to buy livestock and then a huge sale or frag swap happen online and I was unaware lol.

Thanks for any advice!
Depending on which side of Orlando you are, there are some great reefers and lfs in lakeland/tampa/st Petersburg. One of the guys in Lakeland that frags a lot just got totm on that other site

OP
OP
GraphicReefer

GraphicReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on which side of Orlando you are, there are some great reefers and lfs in lakeland/tampa/st Petersburg. One of the guys in Lakeland that frags a lot just got totm on that other site

Oh Awesome! I only an hour or so from Tampa so thats totally drivable.

Thanks!

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like this tanks going to look awesome when it's up and running! I'd say a pair of DaVinci Clownfish would look
Super nice and maybe a flaming prawn goby :)

NakiFantaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds awesome. Following along. With those dim.... how many gallons should that hold?

OP
OP
GraphicReefer

GraphicReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm contemplating getting a Six-Line Wrasse for my reef. If I don't get a Six-Line, can anyone recommend any other Wrasses' that can live in a 45 Gallon? I know most need 55+ ect

Nick92515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the lagoons, i know you're doing sps, but those shallow tanks are great with some nice and vibrant lps, acans, scoly, chalice. But sps's are equally awesome.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 76 74.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 9.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back