45g tank — 10g or 20g sump?

Sump size preference for 45g tank

• Total voters

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to saltwater, we have a 45g (wish I knew the 65 that’s a little deeper was an option earlier). We’re going to add a sump with an overflow (unsure if we’ll do a 300 vs 800 gph overflow, opinions?).

If we do a 10g, it would leave an option for a nano tank down the line next to it on the bottom shelf. Or is it better to do a bigger sump all together?

IMG_1382.jpeg

javajaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bigger sump = more water volume for stability. So yes, go bigger. Just make sure you have enough room for whatever else you plan to get. Plan ahead...always. If you are patient mock up a cardboard tank of each size while you are gathering your other equipment then decide.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bigger sump = more water volume for stability. So yes, go bigger. Just make sure you have enough room for whatever else you plan to get. Plan ahead...always. If you are patient mock up a cardboard tank of each size while you are gathering your other equipment then decide.
Yeah I wish I didn’t just buy my tank until I read more. I thought it was perfect because it was wide enough for the space — didn’t realize I could have gotten another 20g more deep wise. And to top it off, the LFS knew I wanted a drilled one and failed to mention he could have ordered it for me, instead just said he didn’t have them. Think you guys are right

Justdrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it’s better to have a bigger sump? What all do you use in yours for a 40g?
Mine houses an XL protein skimmer for my size tank, heater, probes, dosing lines.. A small frag section lit with an extra XR15. Three baffles and return section.

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still building up my 40 Breeder, my sump is a 20L, I have a bubble magus curve 3 ex protein skimmer, bubble magus small filter roller, heater, refugium with finnex refugium light, return pump. Its cramped, but its functional.
20240306_105601.jpg
20240401_192712.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back