[48G/182L] DIY AIO ADA90. A budget option from Ireland.

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another batch of corals moved over to the main tank.
Some palys, two rocks with zoas on and the hammer (which suffered a bit in the cube).
I installed automatic feeder too (being lazy). Feeding fish with frozen various food twice a day also.

The tank is going through a 'teenage time'. All under control.

I also made an on glass kalkwasser dispenser, DIY thread here.

kalkdispenser1.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool! Love the scape!

OishiiSato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another batch of corals moved over to the main tank.
Some palys, two rocks with zoas on and the hammer (which suffered a bit in the cube).
I installed automatic feeder too (being lazy). Feeding fish with frozen various food twice a day also.

The tank is going through a 'teenage time'. All under control.

I also made an on glass kalkwasser dispenser, DIY thread here.

kalkdispenser1.jpg
Repost of thread? I think wrong link

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Repost of thread? I think wrong link

strange but you are right. Link directs to the wrong thread. the URL must have cut some character or sth.
Fixed!

===================

I started with two drops per second, Rowan kalk, one teaspoon per 2 litres. kH measured before this was as low as 6.5! Corals look very happy, same as fish, but we need to pump up kH a bit :)

It should help with cyano popping here and there, but well the beauty of the fresh tank... Dinos and briyo under control.

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it is nothing for many of you, but for me it is a small success!
Not full two weeks in the tank and it is splitting :)

774d7ea078a69c645945a9105b4bd6f2.jpg

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love your aqua scape and it looks like your tank is thriving!

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving the update pictures!

Thanks! As I am a poor quality reef keeper, so I am playing with the camera hahaha. This round not that good photos. I am having "my cyano moment" and fighting this plague...

I really love your aqua scape and it looks like your tank is thriving!

Thanks! Currently it is thriving with some naught bacteria hahaha

So I am vacuuming every second day, doing water changes 10-20% every second day. It is hard to say if it is going away, as with cyano... you think you are on the top to realize you are not. I am giving myself a week and then chemiclean.

Some photos. New arrivals:

bubblegum monti and some hard to identify other coral

0908a.jpg

some mushrooms, I already have the blue ones, this time I got the greyish ones with them (and cyano next to it...).

0908d.jpg

Here below is a bit crazy. Yuma is in the tank last two weeks, yes tenuis is a new addition... Hydnophora is moved from the cube.

0908b.jpg

I also moved many zoas, duncan, flavia, mushrooms, my baby hammer. Got some extra hermit crabs too.

Here is my "ray of hope" this little guy seems to be having a great time after moving from the cube!

0908c.jpg

cyano is terrible... Last time I had to fight it was like decade ago, but in marine tank this stuff elevates to another level...

PS. those new additions are not from today, in tank few days already, so I was waiting if anything dies off, but nope. Despite outbreak all is alive.

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update from my fight against cyano. Thus the lights with no whites really...
Today I moved more corals from the cube.

1308a.jpg

the plan was to move over blenny too, but 6 hours since I started, I cannot catch this little fella!

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I applied chemiclean and cyano is gone for good. I should start with this 'holistic' approach from start.
After cyano gone, time for dinos, those are also gone almost completely, it was coming back due to spores which where not fully picked by filtering. CaCO3 did the trick and it is visibly reversing and corals could not be happier!

After the cloudiness clears I will update some photos :)

Ordered some gorgonians, should arrive this week:
  • 1 x Diodogorgia nodulifera (Yellow finger gorgonian) S (Approx. 3-4 cm)
  • 1 x Muricea laxa (silver gorgonians)
  • 1 x Pseudopterogorgia bipinnata (Purple willow gorgonian) S
  • 1 x Plexaurella nutans (Large polyp gorgonian) S (Approx. 3-4 cm)

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I am super impressed with the shipping from this Dutch store! Parcel arrived 1 hour late but the same day as planned! Unbelievable for Irish post!

Here are four gorgonias. Some might have a bit of dino leftovers attached to them, but all have polyps out already, so I think are happy.

I was trying to take a photo of blenny and urchin but the first one hide into rocks the moment I took the camera out, urchin is munching in the cave...

g1.jpg

g2.jpg

the one below did not arrive perfect. was broken apart and the smell was not from the nice ones.
g3.jpg

g4.jpg

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update on gorgonias. All seem to be sound and happy!

I supposed to get the orange finger, but apparently it was red finger shipped - how bad! It was in the worst state out of four. Last night hermits snapped one branch which was falling apart, now I have a frag, as it seems the fallen part is still alive :)

2808a.jpg

Silver one is stuck with some algae and dino leftovers, but is shooting a lot of polyps, so I believe all is good with it :)

2808c.jpg

The below future giant I forgot the name of is also doing good. At the second night it was snapped off the rock by hermits, but since glued back it is amazing. On the right great colony of purple stylo (I think) 4-5 shoots are starting to form :)

2808b.jpg

The last of gorgonias keep on getting floating dirt stuck to it. But same like with the others, does not seem to be bothered. The leather stool and the acro on the photo are also doing great (you can see polyps on acro)

2808d.jpg

and here is a bigger photo, as I managed to capture shrimp (still baby) and a clownfish. The candies to the right are saved from the cube. Since move they got back to shape and are already bigger that the ones on the left (two different sources).

2808e.jpg

the photos are not of the highest quality. I know.

All comments welcome! Let me know what your thoughts are!
I have also plugged the dosing pump and need to start dosing kalk (not using ATO for it) and other goodies. But as it is Jebao type pump (DP-3) I need to sit to it and do it slowly.

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a quick update.

I am trying for the third time with the urchin. The other two did not make it. The first one was all good up to the point when it suddenly dies, with no obvious reason :( I ordered another one, which arrived dead due to poor packing, now the third try... We will see... I hope it will start grazing in the next 24 hours.

Some corals arrived and from the animal world:

starfish:

0809b.jpg

feather worm (surprisingly large crown):

0809a.jpg

and two porcelain snails (still babies):

0809c.jpg

yeap, so if the urchin make it, I will have my cleaning crew completed.

I am expecting some new corals within next few days too :)

All is thriving, including bryopsis ;) I am treating it with H2O2 shooting directly.
All-for-reef also arrived, so I have no excuse to not set the dosing pump any more...

Coralline algae is coming out all over the place which would be the best summary of how the tank is going on :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 73 29.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 71 29.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 52 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%

Back